KLF-30s or RF3IIs?

jwadd21

To me, the 30's have the more traditional Klipsch sound. They image cleaner\clearer\deeper and will rock you out of the house. They are also a 3 way design as opposed to the RF's 2 way. The RF's have a good price to performance ratio, but don't compare to the KLF's. The 30's can still be stolen off of ubid for around a grand delivered. I own a pair of KLF's but have only listened to the RF's at the store so room placement and acoustics differ and some may disagree(but those people are wrong!cwm27.gif )

I have four KLF30s in use for my home theatre system. Absolutley love their detail, much more so than the two way design of the current RF line. I did a side by side comparison with the KLF30s and the second generation RF7s. A friend of mine brought over a pair of RF7-IIs and hooked them to my system. We used the Lobby Scene from the "Matrix", Normandy beach landing from "Saving Private Ryan" and a few songs from "Two Against Nature" by Steely Dan. Needless to say, he went with KLF30s. I can best put it this way though, I myself can hear the noticable difference between the two way and three way designs and so did he. Your experience may be different. I know there are other legend lovers here, hopefully they will chime in also.

------------------

KLF-30 mains

RSW-15 subwoofer

KLF-C7 center

KLF-30 side surrounds

KSW-200 subwoofer

KG-3.5 rear surrounds

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV09

Pioneer Elite PDF19

RCA DTC100 DSS/HDTV

Sony Playstation 2

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

I just have the 10's but love the 20's (never listened to the 30's) and the Legends IMO sound more like a Klipsch speaker should. Of course, it may just be the way I hear things since the Saving Private Ryan, Matrix, and Steely Dan demo's are also some of my fav's (along with Dire Straits for music).

------------------

My System So Far:

Fronts: KLF 10 (Med. Oak)

Center: KLF C7 (Med. Oak)

Surrounds: Def. Tech BP6

Sub: SW-12II (Black Ash)

Receiver: H/K AVR 25II

DVD: Panasonic DVDR31S

CD: Yamaha CDC 655

i actually like the sound of the rf-3's because they seem to be less bright and more true sounding than the klf's. so i guess i'll stick with the rf-3II's. besides, theres no way i could have a center channel made out of a klf-30 that weighs 100lbs! (small room).

Jwadd21- I agree with Colabear, I own the KLf-30's and listened to them side by side with the RF-3II's and to me it was no contest.....Legends all the way.

I love live music, percussion, horns, piano and acoustic guitar and the KLF-30's made my Dave Matthews and Santana CD's come to life and make me feel as if I was at the concert again.

To me, it's an obvious choice. LEGENDS!!!

------------------

Well I suppose the comparison should be RF3II vs KLF-10, as they are similarly priced. I compared the two, and found the imaging and clarity in the RFs to be more true than the klfs, which were louder but sounded more like an auditorium speaker. The thing is, the 30's are huge and heavy and louder than I think I need in a 1400 cubic foot room. Also, I want to have the three front speakers be the same model(modifying a main into center), and a 100lb HUGE center is tempting but not realistic for a room the size of mine. I guess I will have to stick with the RF3II's, which I am very satisfied with anyways. I cant WAIT to make my center though :-)

jw, there is a smaller center designed for legends - the klf c7. that's what i use for both front & rear centers. be nice to convert a bigger one to center, but i don't have the space anyway.

i have both rf & klf. the c7 is a great lil center & timbre matches real well w/ the other klf. dual 8 in. woofers. i think it really beats the rc-3 in loudness & clarity.

in a nutshell, the rf are more refined & the klf louder

& more in your face. i like 'em both. but you really need to demo both preferably at your place to know which sounds best for you.

if you're going the multichannel/ht route, you also might want to consider rb-5 or 3 & a real adequate sub.

most HT receivers have a fixed crossover up there at 80hz so speakers that can do down to 40hz aren't really

needed as long as you also have a good sub that performs well up to 80hz.

but if you have a receiver/prepro w/ an adjustable crossover down to 40 or 50hz & some high power, that's a different story.

addendum: saw on other thread you have a yammy a/v reveiver. do you have a sub yet? i'd seriously consider getting the rb-3 & put the extra bucks a real nice sub lke an svs cylinder. the yammy uses a 90hz crossover so you'll probably find it best setting any fronts to small & letting the sub handle the 2nd octave bass. ask horned. Smile.gif but point is why get big mains if not needed.

but if you do stereo listening without a sub then you'd probably want bigger floorstanders for fronts.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 08-10-2002 at 04:13 PM