Need help with HT speaker layout

DFing

I am new to home theater and recently purchased the following: RF-3II's, RS-3II's, RC-3II and a KSW-12. I have attached the layout of the room I am putting my HT in and was looking for suggestions on speaker placement. I took a stab at it, but would like to hear what others have to say about the sub and RS-3II placement. If I mount the RS-3II's on the wall, should they be rotated at all to point towards the listening area, or be flush to the wall? How far off the ground should the RS-3II's be? Is there a relationship in the distance the RS-3II's are from the corner and listening area? Should the sub be in the corner or along one of the walls? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Darren

Darren-

Welcome to the wonderful world of Klipsch!!! Typically, the surround speakers are placed against the wall to each side of the listening position at ear level or higher. If it is placed higher, then you need to angle the speaker towards the listener. This all assumes that you are in a retangular room and the listening positions are not against the wall. Though this is the "norm", departing from it will not in amyway really deter from the HT experience. Your listening area will be a challenge due to its geometry. The drawing of the placement will probably be one of the only options available that is "user friendly" and/or "wife friendly".

As for the KSW-12, i would place it along the side wall. I have found that the KSW-12 is not nearly so "boomy" along the side wall, with respect to using a corner placement.

One other piece of advice, with this room geometry, i would highly recomend getting a SPL (Sound Pressure Level) meter from radio shack and setting all of the speakers to the same SPL level (aka, volume) using the internal test tones on a receiver or a calibration DVD like Avia. This will help get the most enjoyment out of your speakers.

-Dave

------------------

Home Theater

Dave - Thanks a lot for the advice.

Doug - Thanks for the ceiling suggestion. So mount them in the ceiling past each end of the couch pointed down towards the listening area? How far away from the listening area are yours mounted?

I must say that I have the almost same setup you have. Put the ksw-12 in the corner behind the tv. It sounds much better there. I tried mine along the side wall and it sounds less than in a corner.

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

Kenwood KSV64 Bipolar Speakers

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

Television: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

DVD Player SONY S-360

CD Changer CDC 585 5 Disc Yamaha

Harman Kardon TC-1000

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

Darren - First let me say that Klipsch does not endorse ceiling mounting, for liability reasons, and I'm just tossing the idea out there with no liability myself. If you do this, you may want to add some kind of safety cradle under them for safety purposes.

That said, my couch is against a wall with side walls very close to it (in a 10x11 room), so my surrounds are mounted directly over the couch, with the narrow end of them oriented to the front speakers. In your case, if you can, I'd suggest putting them a few feet to the sides of the couch and 1-2 feet behind the couch for better ambiance.

Personal taste and WAF may preclude this placement, but it's an idea.

Another thought is to put them on stands to the side/rear of the couch...

Doug

------------------

My System