Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Difficulties

Dieinflames

Im new here so Im sorry if I am posting this to the wrong spot.

I have a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 that worked great, that was until I went to take it to someone else's place one day, and when I hooked it up to his tv, it did not work at all.

I brought it back home and have been toying with it, and have made the following observations:

Both the right channel and the sub give out no sound at all, other than a small pop when I plug the power cord in. 

Both speakers will work through the left channel. However the sound is fairly quiet, and actually becomes more quiet as I turn the up the volume. The same effect happens when I plug in headphones.

I have disassembled the sub and found no loose or burnt cords or anything that would indicate damage.

I have plugged my system into a few different devices, all with the same results.

I was looking for some feedback on if there's anything I can check or if someone believes they can diagnose the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome aboard.

Promedia is the black sheep of the Klipsch arsenal.  It's Klipsch's Internet Explorer if you will.  Some have good luck with it, but many do not.

It sounds to me like you have an issue with the amplifier or the control pod.  You might see if you can get a replacement from Klipsch.  They're pretty good about getting replacement parts out, and if it's in warranty, they deal things without any hassle.

The sensitivity of that system is actually what led me to retire my Promedia unit after 8 months of use - I gave it to my roommates late last year.  It's been replaced by a Yamaha amp and a pair of RB-3's and hopefully soon an XD300 Sub.

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 2

Double check the connection to the amp (DIN plug). There are several small pins on this connection (6 or 7 I think) if one or possibly more are bent over, this could cause your problem. They are very fragile and can get bent if the plug is not pushed straight in. Since you had just disconnected and reconnected, this may have occurred. You can VERY carefully try to bend the pin back into position but it might just break off. I fixed one for a friend of mine's son but had to pick up a new cord on ebay. They are on there regularly. You will have to splice all of the tiny little wires to each other and it does not make for a very pretty connecting cord, but it gets it working again cheaply. They are under $10 including shipping. Try the warranty route IbizaFlame suggests first but if it isn't covered, try the new cord

• Like 2