More cornwall questions

I just got my first pair of Cornwalls.

The ser# on the speakers are 12R263 & 12R264. They have plywood cabinets, and sound wonderful. I like them better in some ways than my La Scalas. Does anyone know how I can find out when they were made, and perhaps who bought them, etc. They don't have the original tweeters in them, even though they sound great. Should I replace the tweeters? How do I find original tweeters? Thanks in advance!cwm16.gif

According to your serial numbers, they were manufactured in 1977. Sounds like the are Birch Raw cabinets too. Ebay is one source many use, I was fortunate enough to have a forum member sell me an excellent pair of Alnico K-77 Tweets for my 85 Cornwalls. Now they are a perfect match to my 76 Belles and 71 Cornwalls.

Best of luck,

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-09-2002 at 03:41 PM

congratulatins on your new acqusition of your new purchase. i am no expert but i believe those are from 1977. there is a post that list the year of the klipsch line,my cornwalls are (s) and are 78. this is not a hard & fast rule using my # year i go back in # according to the letter. crazy, i beleive that list can be fount in the 2 channel audio section.

try ebay there items listed from time to time.or

klipsch part department.

Hey Robin Hood, I hope you didn't step on any royalty when you bought those cornwalls - did you get permission here first?

I got meself all riled up after reading some other topic and I'm a little testy yet. Just joking around - I couldn't resist !

Just don't be putting those things up for sale too soon or you'll be in a heap of trouble!

Enjoy them thar Korns!

N.P. The CURE (Seventeen Seconds - 1980)

Hi,

I saw those on eBay. You got a good deal for under $500! My cornwalls are from 1977 as well, 12R849 and 850 of that year. Congratulations! I really love the sound of my Cornwalls.

You may wish to call Klipsch tech support and ask for Trey, he may be able to help with obtaining stock tweeters (K77 is the model). I'm not sure how to tell if the tweeters are AlNiCo or not. It looks like you have the same square woofer magnets as mine, I believe these are called mud magnets as the magnetic material is a slurry of some sort.

My speakers look very similar to yours (except for the tweeters)...even one of the paper labels on the back is not completely filled out!! A member on this board, HDBRBuilder, used to work at Klipsch and he built my speakers. He may have built yours as well. He said in 1977 they built a lot of cornwalls and sometimes the labels didn't get filled out. He assured me that the quality and testing of the speakers was still top notch! The Cox person which did the testing was very good he said.

Good luck in finding tweeters! You may want to check out the 2-Channel forum as well. Lots of good cornwall info, as well as discussions on amps and such.

Mace