Setup change suggestions

gadgtfreek

I initially had an outlaw 7125 amp and denon x4000 (preamp) running my system of

2 RF82II's and a RC62II

When the 4520ci's dropped to $1000, I did a swap which consisted of 4520/preamp and Emotiva XPA-3 and that is what I currently run.

My issue is that I am tempted to upgrade to the RC-64II and replace the RC-62II, just not sure the amp will still fit. I have not tried it but I imagine the 4520ci is more than enough juice for two RF82's and a RC-64, but kinda looking for some advice here on thoughts.

Long story short, I think the RC-64II would be a worthy upgrade, but some things need to change in my setup. I guess the main question is, if I do that, hows a 4520 sound with an RC-64II?

bet in a blind test you couldn't tell the xpa-3 apart from the 4520 with the rc-64ii. do you have ANY way possible to run a tower for a center? cause a third rf-82ii is the way to go in my opinion 

Edited by Scrappydue

No, tower is out.

I'm actually in a dilemma right now, becuase my 3.2 will becoming a 5.2 soon enough. I may hold fast on the center upgrade and get the 5 channel amp I want now(Outlaw Model 7500), sell the XPA-3, and then get a new center in the summer. Also curious as to whether the RF7 and RC64 see new models late this year.

To be honest, I love the sound now, and have an extra $1500 or so, so I figured 5 channel amp or larger center. I did find I liked the X4000 + outlaw 7125 vs the X4000 by itself, so it may be best for me to stick with seperates and get the large center when it does not mean sacrificing the amp. 

I generally watch movies about 0.0 reference on the denon (with XT32 calibration), so we are pretty loud. I felt overall that at high volume levels, the 7125 added more dynamics and clarity to the sound. But I know that is a whole other discussion.

Edited by gadgtfreek

Yeah, since moving into this home, we have always been around +2.0 to -1.0 for blu-rays. 

My plan once we build an HT room is to run the RF82II's as rears, and then have RF7's and the RC64 as the front 3, powered by the 7500. Been planning this out for awhile. I've pretty much bought all I can fit in the current house for now. I would move the RC62II and new/cheaper towers to the new living room and use them there, with the better setup for HT.

That is kinda why I think currently, just selling the XPA-3 and getting the 7500 moves my plan along. I can always grab the RC64 this summer, plus if a new model does come out there could be some discounts. I do not intend on buying the RF7's until the house is being built.

Alabama.

I measured some good action scenes, and with the two subs, I hit around 116db's on crazy scenes during stuff like bayformers, but the high's never feel like volume is too high. Audyssey dials my 82's back about -5 and the 62 back about -8. About 11 feet away from the speakers.

Room is over 5500cuft in volume which is why I added a second VTF15.

Edited by gadgtfreek

You do watch things louder than most of us.  Get the RC 64II if you change the mains to RF 7II.  For now the RC 62 II is fine with the 82 II's.  There are time limits on how loud you should listen at those elevated volumes without damaging your hearing.