Classic car thread: Hot August Nights.

kenratboy

My wife drives a 1955 Studebaker 1/2 ton pickup-- All original, frame up restoration but now has about 35,000 miles on. Still looks and drives as new. It's got a 224 cu in. V-8, a Borg-Warner T-85 overdrive and a Dana 44 3:73 rear end. My wife is an engineer (or was) and loves PURELY mechanical vehicles. No power anything, rubber floors, no radio, no A/C (does have a heater), etc. It's got a hand-rubber powder-blue laquer finish on it and draws "thumbs up" wherever she and her bull-terrier go!

We also have a 1957 Chrysler 300, a 1952 MG-TD and a 1964 Sutebaker Station Wagon once owned by Andy Granatelli, one of only nine factory "Avanti Powered"

supercharged wagons. It's currently undergoing a frame-up that will set me back about $25K. When it's done I'll probably put in on permanant loan at the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana.

I have also owned two Lotus Elans, one Lotus-Cortina, one Lotus 7, one Lotus 51 (Formula Ford), an Austin Healy 3000, a 1957 Chrysler Imperial, a 1966 Chevy Nova Super Sport, a 1962 Ferrari 250GT, a 1967 Aston Martin DB6, a 1969 Dodge Super Bee with a Hemi, a 1970 'Cuda with a 440 and a 1959 Chevy Impala with a 348.

Allan - That's an awesome list of cars you have owned!

I have only owned one muscle car and it was a 1968 Firebird with the 400 in it. I have always been in love with Corvettes, since I saw my first one in 1965. I have owned my '92 since 1995 and drive it almost every day. I set it up to road race and autocross, and have had it on the track on many occasions...

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 08-13-2002 at 12:14 PM

Just so everyone knows, the "original" muscle car is making a comeback in 2004. Chrysler is going to make the new "300N" a HEMI-powered, REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE rocket! I will buy one. The return of the HEMI!! (Actully, the HEMI will make it's official comeback in 2003 1-TON RAM trucks). I'm not sure if these will be 426 cubic inches, but who cares!?!?!? A MOPAR HEMI BACK ON THE STREETS!!!! The 300N will have a Mercedes 5-speed automatic and a Mercedes "S-Class" rear end. I guess this will be the first vehicle that really melds the two divisions of Daimler-Chrysler.

To HELL with the Maybach, give me my HEMI!!!