Yamaha or Kenwood Receiver to match Klipsch's?

jwadd21

I have a Yamaha 6.1 480w HTR-5560 (http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11101879&m=1&cat=3&scat=4) receiver right now which was purchased for $310. I want to step up to a 600w receiver with DTS-discrete. I am looking at two receievers from best buy, a Kenwood 600w (http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11163719&m=1&cat=3&scat=4) and a Yamaha 600w (http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11088859&m=1&cat=3&scat=4). I know people who work at best buy so i can get them at roughely %60 of the retail price, which would make the yamaha roughely $490 and the kenwood $370. Which should I go for to match a setup of 3 RF-3II's up front, two RS-3II surrounds, a RC-3II rear center and 2 SVS subs? I figure since I am getting a discount, that it would make sense to get the yamaha. But then again, the kenwood is THX and has the same, if not more features than the Yamaha. Still, Yamaha is a better brand from what I have heard. What would you do?

I can't comment about the Kenwood ,but I have Yamaha and am very happy with it. If the only difference is more power, I would stay with what you have. The Reference line is quite efficient and extra power is not needed. My first Yamaha is only 75w per channel and drives my Synergy series speakers, which are less efficient, way louder than needed. If there are other features that you want with the new receivers, I would say go Yamaha, but thats just my opinion.

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1979 La Scala's (mains), SF-2 Center (pair), RS-3 Surrounds, RC-3 Rear Center, KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever, Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player, Toshiba SD-1200 DVD, Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Bedroom:

Yamaha RX-V590, SF-1 Mainsc>s>

FYI- Don't get too caught up in the THX label, it has become little more than a sales gimmick. You see some pretty low-end stuff bearing the THX label. Yamaha has never pursued THX certification, even on their flagship receivers. Yamaha has their own approach to home theater sound. As jtkinney asked, are there other features that drive this purchase?

------------------

Thanks,

Bill

Primary HTS

Mains: Black La Scalas

Rears: Walnut Belles

Center: Black KLF C7

Rear Center: None Yet

Front Effects: None Yet

Sub: Velodyne CT-150

Extra: Black Chorus IIs

Receiver: Yamaha RXV3000

TV: HD Toshiba 61" 61H70

DVD: Sony DVP-S560D

This might be one of those "your milage may vary" comments, but I had and RC-3 and RB-5's paired with a Yamaha RXV-620 receiver and I didn't care much for the results. The music sounded lifeless and dull, and the dvd sound was not as dynamic as I would have liked.

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD