Dr. D'Appolito and break in.

WMcD

Welcome!!!

Well, don't forget location. The HARDEST part of comparing speakers is that you cannot have (except JBL...) two pairs of speakers in the same spot at once.

Even if they did change in a few days, YOU USED THEM!!! After a few CD's, IF the speaker CAN break in, it will be done.

It would be like putting a car on a dyno for 5000 miles, it is worthless, just USE it!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

quote:

Originally posted by Cantilope:

About a year ago my KLF 30s aquired loose back boards. I contacted my dealer, and he had a brand new set delivered to my house (fantastic service). ... The new woofers didn't quite have the same depth as the "broken in" ones. It was a complete side by side a/b test.

So the damaged speakers that required replacement sounded better than their new replacements? I think there were a few more variables to account for beyond just "breaking in".

Tripod...

Ya, I know you are right, but by boxes didn't rattle until I turned them way up. So the broken cabinet did not come into play that much. Alls I am saying, is there was a differance. Whether it was from age or use, I do not know. But it is my opinion that speakers wear out over time. Any moving part is eventually going to wear. This would logically change the way the woofer handles the movement of air. I am not a beliver in break in, but as someone else noted above, I feel you just begin the breaking down period. Which will ultimately end in the woofer wearing thin and tearing. Just one last thing, I din't say better, I just said different.

------------------

KLF 30 (fronts)

KLF C7 (center)

KG 4.5 (rear)

KSW 10" (rear sub)

Sunfire Theater Grand II (pre-amp)

Sunfire Cinema Grand (425Wx5) (amp)