rear center speaker type

chepo61

A question:

I'm planning on upgrading my current reciever to one that's supports 6.1 channels. My question is what would be the better way to go regarding the rear center speaker:

one single RC3-II or a pair of the RS3II's (I have the RF3II's up front along with a RC3-II).

Your comments will be deeply appreciated.

Hello there,

I prefer using 2 surround back speakers as opposed to 1 rear center.

I feel that a better surround effect is acheived when you use 2 surround back channels.

It really is a matter of taste at this point in the ever-evolving world of Home theater.

Until they come out with 7.1 format, having 2 surround backs speakers is really kind of a waste.

I'm trying to be prepared.

I bought a full 7.2 RF7 series, with the hope I wont have to upgrade for a few years.

Of course, it's only speculation, but assuming they continue producing new formats at the rate they have been, 7.1 isn't too far off.

Like I said , it's really a matter of taste.

I would try both, if you can, to see what would best suit your listening needs.

Good luck with your decision.

Have fun with it.

------------------

You should of heard just what I've seen.

Thanks, Audioreality for your feed back. If I may I want to go a little more in detail and see what you think.

First of all here in mexico we do have the ability to get our hands on the newer recievers that handle the 6.1 and 7.1 formats but at outrageous prices which puts me out of my budget. I have been able to get a decent price on a yamaha RX-V1000 (which in the states came out a while ago) which is 5.1 but has the pre out for an external amp to power the rear center channel. This pre out is sends a mono signal for that particular channel. It just so happens that I have a yamaha stereo amp that puts out 130 watts/channel and I'm thinking of using this amp for the rear center. Since the signal from rx-v1000 going to the rear center is mono, what do you think of me using a "y" interconect to split the mono signal in two and feed both streo channels on the dedicated amp for the rear center ? My reason of thought here is that I would gain a more seemless soundstage for the whole surround field if I use 2 surround speakers instead of one dedicted center channel speaker.

What do you think ?

Hello again,

Yes, you sure can split that pre-out.

That will work fine.

Probably sound really good.

IMO. you would greatly increase your soundstage from the rear.

I personally like the really enveloping feeling I get from dual surround back.

Sound comes from everywhere.

I suggest try it.

If you don't like it you can still use one RS3 for single surround back and keep the other for a spare speaker or bookend. ha ha.

Either way I would go with the RS3 for surround back, as opposed to a RC3.

Enjoy your decision.

Let me know what you do.

------------------

You should of heard just what I've seen.

this has been discussed ad naseum on here. cwm4.gif

there is no pat answer. demo both types is the best route. depends a lot on your room & certainly which type surrounds you have - wdst or direct.

if you're using wdst speaks like rs-3, i'd use 1 or 2 direct radiating like rc-3 for the anchor to the diffuse sound coming from the wdst effect. iow, depends how wide the rear center sound hole is w/ the surrounds only, & usually w/ wdst/diffuse speaks as surrounds you have little or no sound hole anyway.

& for the current & future discrete rear center channel material like dts es 6.1 discrete (such as fly over effect), if you get those decoders in a future processor, you definitely want a direct speak for directionality. jmo & the majority of experts. cwm4.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 08-14-2002 at 12:32 PM