Speaker rebuild(s)

jmcox00

A sincere thanks to Justin Weber for his help in the evolution of a set of great speakers - originally crafted by him, then with two stages of changes - again aided by him.

These sweet speakers started life as two ways and were purchased by me from Justin about a year ago.

Originally configured:

Lower bins - Eminence KappaPro 15C 15" woofers

Upper bins - Fastlane Audio Eliptrac 400s with B&C DE85TN drivers

Crossover - ALK AP12-500 gentle slope

Then, with Justin's help, we added tweets and additional crossovers:

Add of Fastlane Audio Contrac -Ts with DE10 drivers

Added crossovers - ALK ES5800 extreme slope

Just this week:

Switch out of the DE85TN drivers for B&C DE750TN drivers

Switch out of the ALK AP 12-500 gentle slope crossovers for ALK ES500 extreme slope crossovers

The main thing I would like to say is to express a sincere thanks to Justin for all his help and guidance (this last stage was completed at 1 am in his garage). Justin's generosity of time, attention to detail and commitment to doing things the right way is a breath of fresh air.  Below is a photo of the speakers in his garage that night, and a pic I took the next day of the inside of the upper bins as I was fiddling with the variable attenuation adjustments that Al at ALK engineers in his crossovers (another nice feature to Al's beautifully crafted networks).

post-58735-0-54920000-1435719952_thumb.j

post-58735-0-41600000-1435719967_thumb.j

• Like 1

They'll certainly do in a pinch. Justin was hugely generous with his time and assistance with the rebuild switch out.  Looking forward to giving them a real workout over the July 4th weekend - I'm expecting to experience some great sound stage separation and punchy base. (Hopefully my neighbors enjoy the music selections !!). Love the adjustability of the crossovers with respect to attenuation between speakers. Really lets you dial in to your room and preferences.