Just got my Polk PSW650 sub, settings help....

Orange Peel

I just got the sub lastnight, and so far it sounds wonderful, huge bass for my room, around 13x15 with 8' ceilings. I'm running a Monster Cable Monsterbass 400 sub cable, with the y-adapter hooked up and running into the "L/R IN" on the sub, no into the LFE on the sub

Here's the spec on the sub from Polk's site....

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=7&speaker=48

I have the volume up front to 9, and the adj low pass is at 100hz or so, boost to 0, normal phase alignment.

Is that about the normal setting? I'm using my Harman Kardon AVR 125. I have it set to "<L/R> + LFE", I have Klipsch RF-3 fronts, and they are set to large and the RC-3 center is set to small. No surrounds right now.

I was watching LOTR's lastnight, and my god, my house was shaking like hell! I had to turn the sub down a little to keep it from rattling the Big Screen TV's screen shield. Smile.gif

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Home Theatre:s>

Harman Kardon AVR-125

Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609

Sony DVD DVP-S530D

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch RC-3

Polk Audio PSW650 sub

Great buy OP

Try to set the mains to SMALL(well set all your current sats to small).

The sub crossover point can stay at 100Hz,as the receiver sends all data below 80Hz to the sub.

Phase settings,cant tell you where to set it.Just listen with mains set to LARGE and try a CD with plenty of 50-80Hz bass(or even better test tones)play the speakers at good volume.Listen,hear the bass energy.

Now with the sub set on phase 0 play the same pass(or track),do you hear a gain in bass or you hear less bass?)

If more you hear you should be OK,if you hear less...set the phase to 180.

This is a primitive but quick way.Try it

After you are sure the sub is in phase with the mains set the RF-3's to SMALL.

Listen to some CD's movies you know.

TheEAR(S) Now theears

Thanks Ear, I was wondering how long you were gonna take to answer me, I was hoping you would too, but was getting worried Wink.gif I will try that and let you know. I have the sub placed up front next to the RF-3's, but when I walk around when it's playing, it REALLY makes some noise when I'm straight accross from it, by the opposite RF-3. Maybe I should move the sub next to the couch back were I sit? If so, I will need to return my Monsterbass 400 12ft cable and get the largest one.

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Harman Kardon AVR-125

Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609

Sony DVD DVP-S530D

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch RC-3

Polk Audio PSW650 sub

As you said,try moving the sub around.I have all my subs in both rooms alongside the front walls.Results may vary for you,try to move the sub and listen to some tracks you know with deep bass.

I always get the longer subwoofer interconects,most are 4-6 meters long!Better have a longer cable,in case you move the sub or need to go around furniture.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Ear - Well, I tried to tune it how you told me, and when I went to switch the phase around, it didn't make any difference. So I took the y-adapter off and plugged the cable into the LFE in on the sub, and I was able to change the phase that way. It didn't seem to be any better that way, actually seemed quieter that way, so I put the y-adapter back on and plugged it back into the L/R IN on the sub and left the Phase at normal. I set the crossover to around 100 or so hz, and left the bass boost at 0, I didn't like it with the boost at +3db, no need I think.

I'm gonna take the cable back and get the 24ft one, and this way I can move the sub around and see how it sounds, it's just a pain to get up and move it, sit back down, get up, etc etc, but you gotta do what you gotta do to get the best sound. I REALLY need to go get a SPL meter!!!

Thanks again for all your help, I really like this sub, but I still think I will add a SVS 16-46 PCi sub later. Do you think that would be the best SVS sub to get for the price?

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Klipsch RF-3'sc>

Klipsch RC-3c>

Polk Audio PSW650 subc>

Harman Kardon AVR-125c>

Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

This message has been edited by Orange Peel on 08-19-2002 at 07:08 PM

Scott - Others may pooh-pooh this, but one way to get an initial cut on sub location is to put IT in your favorite listening position and move yourself around the room listening for the point where the sound is the best. Saves a lot of wear and tear on your body and potentially the sub cabinet, at least for an initial placement, but it will make your fiance and neighbors (if you leave the curtains open) question your mental acuity!

Be sure and check corners, along walls, and (strange as it may seem) up off the floor as well. I remember a board member finding the best spot to be about 3 feet in the air in the corner behind his speaker...

Doug

------------------

My System

o, when you get the long cable, sit that sub in your listening spot or right close in the center of room, & move yourself around the room, best on your hands/knees where a sub would go, while playing some bassy stuff. then when you find the spot where bass is strongest &/or best, put the sub there.

iow, it works both ways. & much easier to lug yourself

around instead of the sub. Smile.gif i'd start in or near a closed front corner.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Thanks for the advice, that sounds like a MUCH easier task than moving the sub around, I can move much faster and with less strain Wink.gif Why didn't I think of that!? Oh well, that's why we have this board huh? hehe Smile.gif

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Klipsch RF-3'sc>

Klipsch RC-3c>

Polk Audio PSW650 subc>

Harman Kardon AVR-125c>

Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>