New Custom "Mini" Chorus II's

jjptkd

I just finished my newest version of the "Mini" Chorus II. I combined 3 different Klipsch speakers; KP-2002c cabinets & mid horns, KP-250 II tweeter & k-42 woofers and Chorus II crossovers. I had the pair of woofers re-coned and converted to 4 ohm for the project to better match the crossover. These turned out very nice with a surprising amount of bass for a sealed cabinet. :D

post-58550-0-52020000-1438630570_thumb.j

post-58550-0-22180000-1438630581_thumb.j

• Like 2

Custom "Mini" Chorus II = Quartet

These will blow away the quartets in just about everyway imaginable. They are basically Chorus II's with less low end but in a cabinet 1/3 the size. Same sensitivity, same max output, same great midrange, pretty much everything that is a Chorus II minus the chest pounding bass. But, the bass did turn out better than I expected and is easily as good as any model Heresy I've heard.

have you tried aligning the tweeter with the mid horn?

I set the tweeter so that it lines up with the mid horn, just as it does in the Chorus II. Eventually I'm going to build whole new cabinets and all the drivers will be mounted the same anyway.

have you tried aligning the tweeter with the mid horn?

I set the tweeter so that it lines up with the mid horn, just as it does in the Chorus II. Eventually I'm going to build whole new cabinets and all the drivers will be mounted the same anyway.

[/quote

I was thinking VC to VC rather than mouth to mouth. you might also experiment with solid stuffing the cabinet with high density fiberglass. there are other mods to the woofer which wold help to improve bass but they are more work. when packing a cabinet with HD fiberglass you need to orient the material so that the driver back wave pushes into the material edges rather than the flat surfaces as the material is compressed flat in sheet form the sides are not as absorbent as the edges this makes for quite a difference in performance.

take a look at what was measured here. http://www.nutshellhifi.com/MLS/MLS3.html

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

Thanks Moray! I've actually read that article a few times over the last several years and its interesting. I thought for a moment to mount the tweeters as you suggested but dismissed the idea as it will not fit into my future build plans anyway. Fact is, I love the Chorus II and I'm not trying to improve on that design just come as close as I can to replicating it in a Heresy sized cabinet while letting stereo subs fill in the low end. As far as stuffing the cabinets I put about 1 pound of poly-fill per box. The bass is actually surprising good, to the point where I'm not going to bother with ports. Everything sounds tight, balanced and clean.