Ron's (lonelobo) at it again with a 75 cent VT...

Mallette

Sounds like lonelobo made an even better garage sale score than I did !!

A pal and I were out garage saleing (sp?)recently and saw a garage sale sign at a place where an old fellow essentially runs an unlicensed second-hand/junk shop 3 weekends out of 4 during the summer and where frankly almost everything is overpriced crapola,(example a working but 30 yr. old Hamilton-Beach hand mixer in Avocado with a severely cracked housing had a price tag of $15.00 on the day I scored). Ordinarily we simply drive on looking for more favourable prospects but on that particular Saturday Brian and I were already heading for the barn and decided to hit Gordon's place as we were there and anyway had no plans to visit any more garage sales.

I looked and saw the usual sea of flotsam and jetsom until I spied a filthy but essentially intact Dynaco PAT 4 sitting atop an equally woebegone Dynaco ST 120 on a table otherwise populated with a couple of Mag Rims and several car radios. I wandered over expecting that Gordo would be asking the moon. Instead there was a note on the PAT4 saying " Old radio dont work but could be fixed to play 8 tracks or records $2.00. The ST120 had no note but was also priced at $2.00. I handed him a Fin and told him to keep the change. I figured that at worst I could part them out on eBay and make a few $$ while helping other Dynaco enthusiasts.

I hooked the Preamp up and it sounded like hello but one channel sounded half way reasonable and then pretty damned good when I wiggled the interconnect a little - did the same on the other channel and - SAME DEAL!! At this point I went from hopeful to downright excited. I gave the preamp a thorough cleaning,(cosmetically and electrically)and I am listening to my turntable through it as I type. I would prefer a PAS3 or some other tubish preamp of similar or better quality but I have to say my PAT4 sounds lovely when driving my ASL AQ1003 tube amp.

I have not really tested the ST120 beyond powering it up and learning that it doesn't blow its fuses or trip breakers. It would be nice if it is working as well as the PAT4 but worst to worst - It doesn't matter because I have a very nice little preamp for 1/2 the price of a package of cigarettes here in Canada. (Damned health freaks!!)

A lovely and appropriate reply. So far, Ron has accumulated 2 Cornwalls, a Scott 229C, and a VT phono preamp for a total of 25.71 (counting the 4 cents he found in one Cornwall). I think that worthy of note.

Even as my best friend, I really HATE him sometimes...

Dave

Mallett

Iff'n Y'all 'cides to hurt Ole Ron I am calling dibs on his left leg as a good luck charm! Hell even if it wont fit on ma keychain I ken always chain it to the back bumber of my daddys pick up.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)