Lascala rebuild. Need help.

Jn_Crafting

Hi everyone. About a year ago I picked up a pair of Lascala industrial speakers. They have a new pair of Crites woofers, K55-M mids, and K77 tweeters. Speakers are in good shape, consecutive serial numbers and minimal wear. I pulled them apart last night to find one of the crossovers is in rough shape. It's corroded and just looks tired. The speakers make a bit of a hiss hooked up to the amp and it comes from the tweeters and mids.

The one crossover looks to be "updated" and has less of the "hiss" than the speaker who's xover is rough.

This fall in looking to strip them, paint them and go through and rebuild these guys. I have no idea what xover is in them. They have been molested so I couldn't say.

My goal is to have these for a 2 channel system. I have a JL audio Fathom I use as a sub. I listen to a lot of music, from rap to classical. I will sit down and listen for hours at times. Or turn it up for parties and get togethers.

I listen all the time and am looking for something with some fidelity but doesn't mind taking some power and getting loud.

I need cross overs. I wanted to see if anyone has a good idea or opinion for what might work well. I need to run new wire(part of the overhaul) and I thought about tweeters and mids.

I've been doing days or research and have a pretty good idea but I wanted to hear from others and see what you guys think.

Going to be a fun project to keep me warm in the Canadian winter to come.

Thanx in advance guys.

There is a little bit of a his from that amp. It's an intergraded tube but I took out one tweeter from the speaker that was making more noise and swapped them and it's still hisses worse on the speaker with the xover in question. The amp is a carot one ernestolone. There are assembled in Italy but I know it's Chinese manufacturing so I wanted to try a couple different tubes to see if I can't make it a bit better.

The one xover in question is rough. 459c60e15954f7dedf6cc8cc549f1929.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all, I suppose it's all dependent on your budget, and how much time you want to put into them.   

Cosmetic:

1.  Are these black with aluminum trim or?  Are they splits or one solid unit?  If they are black, and you want to stay with black, go with Duratex, from Parts Express.  If they have trim, remove it, have it bead blasted or you can simply coat it with a similar color metallic paint, then replace it after you have done the cabinets with Duratex.

Electrical:

1.  Have you opened both dog houses to check that both woofers have been replaced?   

2.  Considering your statement regarding your listening habits, I would go with AA crossovers.  Again, depending on your budget, you can go new AA's from Crites, or high end from Dean at Aletheia Audio, or you can find used AA's and then replace the caps.

3.  New wiring is usually not necessary, but if you're stuck inside for months on end.....why the heck not?

4.  Do you really think you need to replace the mids and tweets?  Have you checked them to make sure they are fully functional?

Good thing to do would be to post a bunch more photos here, so we can see better what's happening.  It's a fun project, I've done a few....as have lots of others here.