klipschorn tail board splitter/reflector

vindeville

They are klipschorns. I added Volti VTK crossovers, I built the midrange horns. They are made from Edgar 300hz tractrix horn plans. I loaded these horns with B&C dcm 50 midrange drivers. I put Crites cast frame woofers in them, the tweeters are PRV polyimide that I think are excellent. I liked the burled maple front but the edges were rough so I bound them with oak veneer. I still have all the stock parts as well.

They are klipschorns. I added Volti VTK crossovers, I built the midrange horns. They are made from Edgar 300hz tractrix horn plans. I loaded these horns with B&C dcm 50 midrange drivers. I put Crites cast frame woofers in them, the tweeters are PRV polyimide that I think are excellent. I liked the burled maple front but the edges were rough so I bound them with oak veneer. I still have all the stock parts as well.

So you have a non/klipschorn  K  get a life.

Sorry you needed to tweek  a mongrel 41 year old bass bin...........what did you start with.? :mellow:

I started with a great sounding pair of stock Klipschorns and made them much better to my ears. But you got me pegged you scamp....Im just a jackass with no life...you win, no need for you to post any further on the matter id say.Thanks 

Vin ,,,Your no jackass...Like me you found many faults and want to address them,,,    I don't find any major faults with the bass bin,,, But oh jeez the mid and tweets were allways a piece of crap,,, George ASHWORH who worked with Paul on findeing a better woofer design,,, Never liked the top end,,,There were other friends of Paul and George in StLouis,,Called the "gang of five"...Paul sent up a mid horn for Georg to look at..I don't remember which one it was,,,I,d have to go down stairs and look up the notations and tech letters...But the mid horn looked pretty crude to me,,,This was the first time I got to see ASHWORTHs "working bass bin,,,HE was a devout MONO man... He had one K horn in his living room and one in his Lab room on the lower level,,, With all kinds of test electronics equipment,, Sweep genaraters, Chart recorders,, Calibrated micraphones,, couple of scopes Amps and other woofers sitting all over the place,,.. I noticed that bass bin had J lugs and wing nuts on the side access door... This was the special K horn Paul made for ASHWORTH..  IT was a pretty big room... Remember Paul didn't have a ANACHOIC CHAMBER AT THAT TIME,,, But there was one in St.Louis,,, At the Central Instatute for Hearing,,,They had TWO chambers,,,,,,, But what was interesting At GEORGs place was the mid and tweet horns he developed,,,This was the split in the direction George was doing and what Klipsch was up to.. I,ll get to that later,,.. My typing fingers are getting cramped......Excuse my spelling..

• Like 1

Great stuff zako. Were there many other tweeters or mids being considered then? What was available? I don't really think im a jackass, I was just telling that fella what I think he wanted go hear. Im more of an elephant actually.

Edited by vindeville