Set-up and crossover

Sawyer

Looking for some advice with regards to setting my crossovers, sub woofer and speaker configuration.

I'm currently rocking a 7.1.2 setup (waiting for my 2-channel amp to show up before going to 7.1.4) consisting of 280FA towers, 450CA center, R-115SW sub and (4) 250S for side and rear surrounds. I have (2) 140SA's that will be hooked up soon as well.

I am powering everything with the Marantz SR7010. I ran the Audyssey MultEQ® XT32 setup which sets the crossovers automatically but I wanted to get some opinions from you guys.

Do I keep my towers as "smalls" or set them as large?

The sub has a switch for phase at "0" or "180". Which one?

Any suggestions for setting gain and lowpass?

And finally anyone with any of the same speakers or similar I'd love to hear what you set your crossover(s) at and why. (Always interested in learning something new)

I realize some settings are personal preference but I'm trying to get a good starting point while I get used to everything and break them in.

Thanks in advance.

In a multichannel setup, the towers should be set to small.  The xo should be at least 10 to 15 Hz above the weakest speaker in the setup +/- 3db FR.  Set the lpf at 120 Hz and defeat the xo on the sub by turning it all the way up or off.  Enjoy the new system! 

P.S.  Try the phase at 0 and 180 and keep it where the most spl is generated and sounds best from multiple spots in the room.  If you do this post Auddysee, re-run autocalibration.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

In a multichannel setup, the towers should be set to small.  The xo should be at least 10 to 15 Hz above the weakest speaker in the setup +/- 3db FR.  Set the lpf at 120 Hz and defeat the xo on the sub by turning it all the way up or off.  Enjoy the new system! 

P.S.  Try the phase at 0 and 180 and keep it where the most spl is generated and sounds best from multiple spots in the room.  If you do this post Auddysee, re-run autocalibration.

Hey Derrick,

Thanks for the reply.  Loving the system so far but with football pre-occupying most of my time yesterday I haven't really dove into as much as I'd like...yet. 

I'll try out your recommendations when I get home today. 

Thanks again.

I'm still noodling around with mine since we moved. Part of the issue is he wife keeps rearanging the room. I noticed that the Audessy has set different crossover points for the different speakers. The rb61 IIs go down to 45, the RC 62 57. Would 80 all around be the best bet?

I am assuming the RC 62 is the weakest speaker so, 15 Hz above 57 puts you at roughly 80  Hz.   It is OK to use that XO for all the speakers.  People setting different XO points for each speaker are guess at what it is doing without measurements.  Anyway, if you are using a sub, you are good to go!

• Like 1