Mac or Dynaco?....

bosskag

Is the tube thing really better?...I'm using a Mac 754 amp with a Mac MX-112 and Cornwall speakers (I love it!)... Just aquired a Dynaco ST-70 (all original '68 vintage) the sound is fantastic but I can't tell much difference from the Mac. I'm thinking that Mac really did something right many years ago...any comments from the board?

No "joke post" mdeneen....I admit, I am old and hearing is not like it used to be (tests show that I have loss in both the high and low ranges). If I am really missing the tube sound I suppose I should have have paid more attention in the days I grew up in..Elvis, Moonglows, Harptones, Buddy Holly, Beatles, CCR, James Gang...I suppose I may as well throw away all my Mac, Carver, Dual, Revox, Otari, Thorens equipment and get a portable radio since I don't hear too well anymore. What do you think?

I remember hearing the (then) brand new Adcom GFA1, 1980, and thinking to myself: grainy, bright, but with no real high end, and boomy in the bass. On went the lightbulb in my head! A quick dash into the backroom and out comes the Dynaco ST70. Yep! Almost the same sound, only the Adcom plays a bunch louder.

I like some tube amps, the ST70 doesn't make that list.