Removing Speaker Cover material from KG 4.2's

Jim

Disclaimer. I have not done it because I don't have a set of those.

However, I looked at the Klipsch website to look at the high resolution picture.

http://images.klipsch.com/333f3b7dd9665898fa1c0e09987395be_635042170360120000.jpg

You're talking about the front grills, right? My interpretation of the picture is that we see the holes, about 3/8th inch, for a ball type retention system at the edges of the grill about an inch from the edges. At the corners and half way down the edge.

You can, I think, pry off the front grill by slipping a putty knife or a butter knife under the edge, or maybe a gift card from Starbucks, or the like. I'd start near what we see at the holes at, for example, the top right.

This type of work will give anyone pause because you think you're going to break the frame or mar the veneer. But with some moderate pressure the individual ball and socket joints should pop. You can use a bit of paper towel or masking tape to protect the veneer.

Please post your results so that the knowledge will be shared. Smile.

WMcD

Yes,

I'm also refinishing these in a Birch for practice to do my forte II in Rosewood,and want to do the speaker covers over as the 1 cover is stained with some type of grease. I re-did the covers on the forte already, and am either going to use the same material, or a chocolate or light beige type color on them.

I called Klipsch directly, but they didn't have any info on how to remove it (or it was too much of a bother to look it up).

These are the forte II covers redone,and although I do like the black, I want to try something different.

If I got what you are saying, it should pop out from under the lip on the front. I will try that out.

post-59264-0-91660000-1445650983_thumb.j

post-59264-0-66220000-1445651025_thumb.j

• Like 1

Jim,

I'm confident you'll be okay.

My observation is that there are only four ways Klipsch has worked with grills.

1) In the old days the fabric was attached by hundreds of staples to the front board and it is difficult to undo.

2) A grill frame attached to the box with Velcro.

3) A grill frame attached to the box with magnets. Like your Forte II.

4) A grill from attached to the box with "little plastic nothings" which are ball and socket contraptions. Parts Express sells them. See picture below.

Sorry to hear about the problem with telephone contact with Klipsch. It just shows they should have someone like ex-employee Michael Colter (sp corrected) manning the phone. When he was hired he wanted to know everything and as a result knew just about everything.

WMcD

post-453-0-28820000-1445653745.jpg

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott
  • Like 1