I need a new VCR

jtkinney

My Toshiba VCR died the other day while trying to eject "Swan Princess". No it had nothing to do with the tape.

Anybody have any suggestions for a new one? I don't need S-VHS or digital capability, just something to play all the kids tapes and record TV shows occasionally.

Thanks.

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1978 Klipschorns (mains), SF'2's (center), 1979 La Scalas (rear surrounds), RC-3 Rear Center, KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever, Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player, Toshiba SD-1200 DVD, Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Bedroom:

Yamaha RX-V590, SF-1's Mainsc>s>

Jim - I'm a fan of using the $80 units from Ultimate Electronics for those purposes. They have a pretty good selection (Toshiba, Samsung, Sony), and they have Hi-Fi Stereo so they'll work for Dolby Surround. At those prices, they are disposable if something breaks.

I'm also playing around with a VisionTek xtasy Everything card (was $100 on clearance at CompUSA) which has a DVR capability on it. So far, I haven't quite mastered the combination of settings which will yield the least amount of lip-synch issues (sound ahead of picture), but it's a work in progress. If I get it down, I'll be using my PC as a VCR...

Doug

------------------

My System

Yeah, just try to get a 4 head stereo vcr, adds to the price but vastly improves picture and sound, to me at least.

to record, i would really recommend a PVR like TiVo or RePlayTV, or if you have a computer, what doug suggested. I used to do that till a power surge...

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

Thanks guys, that was where I figured I would end up, just thought I would do a sanity check. I don't have a computer anywhere near the TV, so that option won't work.

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1978 Klipschorns (mains), SF'2's (center), 1979 La Scalas (rear surrounds), RC-3 Rear Center, KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever, Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player, Toshiba SD-1200 DVD, Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Bedroom:

Yamaha RX-V590, SF-1's Mainsc>s>

quote:

Originally posted by jtkinney:

Thanks guys, that was where I figured I would end up, just thought I would do a sanity check. I don't have a computer anywhere near the TV, so that option won't work.

Wellll, actually, it could work. My PC is 3 rooms down the hall from the HT room. I'm contemplating a connection via either coax (with RCA terminators on them) or the X10 Everywhere 2.4ghz transmitter thingy that will send audio/video magically through the air (can you imagine something like that? Smile.gif)

The video card came with an IR remote to control the DVR functions of the PC (so I'll have to use a IR repeater to cover the distance, which I had anyway). The Radeon 7500 All In Wonder has a RF remote which would probably cover the distance, but I don't know for sure.

Of course, a $80 VCR is MUCH cheaper, easier to install and connect, but where's the challenge in that? You know the old saying, if it ain't broke, fix it until it is!!

Doug

Doug

------------------

My System