overkill on surrounds or not?

avklipsch

Boa it sounds like TheEar(s) has gotten into the serious side of your nether regions... but, for my money, once you have reached 121.5 dB at 20Hz the only reason to add subs is to...

Wavey.gif counter serious standing waves (which the floorplan is designed to avert) or...

Eek.gif a tornado just blew the roof off your home theater (against which you can insure).

Actually, one version I drew up has a pair of double corners for a pair of double mains and double Ultra towers... but then again, Tom Vodhanel has offered to design and build a super sub tower 30" in diameter.cwm35.gif -HornED

The diamond layout has me thinking about my HT set-up. I use a pair of KSP-400's, a C6, and KSF-S5's in an odd family room. It has a vaulted ceiling, up to the ridge, then a short wall down to the flat ceiling of the adjoining dining room and kitchen. Out about four feet on center from one corner is a fireplace with a pellet stove insert. I'm considering centering the screen in that corner, with the right 400 on the other side of the stove, and the other 400 symetrically placed on the other wall. Anyone see any inherant problems with this?

fini

I want to thank everyone that contributed to this post.

My wife thought I needed to be medicated because she thought I was becoming obsessed with my HT.

I showed her this post and I'm off the hook.

Thanks!! :-)

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Denon DVD-900

TV: Sony 36XBR400

VCR: Mitsubishi HS-U48

LaserDisc: Pioneer D605

MIT T2 and T3cables throughout

Thanks Q, Too bad I still don't have my drafting table. I try out your plan in my cheapo CAD program (an ancient copy of AutoSketch) and see what you are talking about. I have seen that picture of your front end before (and I see that HornED had posted it again for everyone's pleasure). That is impressive indeed. I would love to be able to do something like that.

The biggest room I have in this house is a 15x20 foot room down in the basement (fully finished, complete with walnut panelling and wall-to-wall carpet - very nice), which I cannot decide if I want to make that a dedicated theater or move my bedroom down there (it is much more quiet and cooler down there - can't hear the retards drag racing down Rt 3 with thier annoying little rice burners. It is all fun and games until somebody wraps one around a tree like what happened over 4th of July weekend (some kid figured he could take a 35mph curve while doing 80), but I digress..).

Like I said, I guess I'll have to try my luck with the Lotto Smile.gif I guess in the mean time, I'll just enjoy my humble little Reference setup. (Geez, six K-horns, I cannot even begin to comprehend how thats gotta sound Smile.gif )

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

I do need to design in a corner for the subwoofer. I'm convinced, after reading Dr. Floyd E Tooles papers, that one sub location works better then multiple subs around the room. My Sunfire Signature is a great sub.

but, it might not be enought for a room of this size. I may have to go to the stacked Ultras. This 30" custom tube sounds interesting. I'm aslo toying with the idea of designing a horn loaded subwoofer within those 3 front false corners. I have to admit, that was my younger sons idea. He's 14 and catching on fast. When I was assembling my current false corners, He noticed the large air space behind them. He suggested that I enclose the back and drop a couple 18" woofers in the face of them. The boy may have something here.

When I say I'm going to use block walls, be it foam or cinder, I do plan on erecting a stud wall to them on the room side.

Obsessed?????????. Who said that? Well, maybe but it keeps me saine. What's the fun of dreaming if you can't turn some of them into reality. I admit, I showed my wife Horn Eds pictures and told her. "See I'm not the only nut."

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 08-24-2002 at 07:24 AM

New guy here...just bought a walnut pair of Cornwall II's to upgrade my hodge-podge first HT. See picture--I replaced my 80's Hitachi 3-way speakers in photo and left the rest alone for now: Denon AVR2000, 500W 12" Cambridge Soundworks sub, 2 Energy Take 2's for surround and a Cambridge Soundworks center.

I actually will need to move the Cornwalls upstairs to the game room/HT I built above the garage. I'm now planning for surrounds, center, sub and TV and have some questions:

1. I understand why adding another Cornwall for center would be a good match but I never could figure out how the monster would fit. I could raise my 27" TV on a new stand but if I get a 65" Big Screen it would have to be mounted above which I could do if I built something. My question is on imaging. With one big speaker inverted above a screen do the voices match the screen or are you drawn to look up--I've heard it blens well?

2. In a 5.1 setup would you place the surrounds in rear or side? Some feel rear direct firing speakers are too "directional" and prefer dipoles.

3. With 5.1 do you have the urge for 7.1 which I assume would be rear l/r on back wall, side l/r pointing at listener. Are dipoles or omni-polar better for sides--probably yes for RF-series but I have Heritage?

4. Will the Denon 3802 be enough of a receiver--I'm trying not to break the back at the start--my old avr2000 sure sounds good w/the Corns. I'm looking forward to upgrading from Dolby to the latest Dolby Digital with full range center and surrounds. I was amazed at the full range of sound the Star Wars Pod Race has in the rears (heard it at a store).

4. It appears many like all the subs in one location. I have cables for one in the front corner supporting the fronts and I have a wire in the opposite back corner which I was going to use with the rears. Should they be together? I've heard they should be in front more than rear. The local stores push Krell I think but I've been reading about SVS on this board--sounds like a better value.

5. Screens. I'm confident I don't want a screen smaller then my Pioneer rear projector but maybe a wide format 65" rear project is plenty big --especially for my room which can only hold a 90" wide screen due to angled roof (15' wide, 20' long). I wired the room for a projector but I haven't seen any that I like compared to the rear projectors (CRT's are too expensive and I haven't been thrilled w/$10k projectors. They look grey to me--especially on dark movies--I've read they don't produce true blacks. So I'm leaning towards a 65" rear projector with HDTV in the future. Anyone recommend a projector if I only can project 80" wide? I"ve been waiting for HDTV and projector technology and price to improve. I absolutely love watching my Pioneer 50". I only wish it was wide format and bigger. Only true HDTV demo's have caught my attention as notably better picture quality.

At the moment my plan is as follows:

Cornwalls front l/r

Heresy II center

SVS sub (need to research here--I'm currently just using my 500W 12" sub and it's fine since I can't rattle the house too often with a family).

Heresy II's for rear wall about 5' high

Heresy II's on stand on sides facing seating (maybe)

Denon 3802

65" wide format rear projector (will select when I've got the funds)

I hope the Heresy's aren't going to disappoint me working with my Cornwalls which I love, but they are a better size and price.

For the downstairs family room in the photo, I'll need to add new l/r & center. Modern thin Tower speakers are a much better size (like the RF7's).

At one point I was thinking about Sonus Faber Grand Pianos l/r, SF center, and SF Concerto's in rear with Krell sub. I've quit thinking about them because the heritage Klipsch just seems to offer a great "bang" for the buck. I loved the improvement the Cornwalls made to my Home Theatre.

in the world of audio, there is no such thing as overkill.

------------------

Tha System

Front- SF-2

Rear- SF-1

Center- SC-1

RSW-15 for the sub

Receiver- Cheap Pioneer

Amp for stereo Listening- Home-made tube amp 100 watt monoblocks

second to top of the line sony SACD- Technics Turntable, Pioneer Turntable, Gemini Turntable.