What speaker cable to connect amp to SVS subs?

jwadd21

I am going to receive two SVS 25-31cs subs tommorow. I already have the amp, but i want to know what kind of speaker cable is best to connect the amp to the subs? Do I need thick cable or will some fairly thin cable do the job? Also, do I need a nice y connector to split the signal from the lfe? and do I need nice rca to 1/4" interconnects? does the cables really matter?

OH GOD!!!

NOT AGAIN!!!

Well, you will want thick (12-gague or bigger) and you will want "nice+" cables. For example, the BEST stuff Radio Shack has will probably be fine. Make sure they are all (the RCA's) shielded.

Other than that, get SOMTHING so you can let the subs rip. If you so desire at a later date, you can always upgrade your cabling, or just gibe the $$$ to me Smile.gif

Good luck and enjoy!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

Yeah, that 8-gague should also do double duty for welding ship hauls!!!

For the interconnect. If you like Monster, get somthing, that is sold by the meter, would be ~$30 for stereo RCA. I mean, this isn't Wilson Audio, and decent Monster should carry EVRYTHING to your SVS's.

Here, like this pice range:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-h1IuhovYhAG/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=9&g=20111&I=119MB3SW12&o=m&a=0

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

yea the problem is the fidek amp has a 1/4" phono jack, not rca. So would I use two subwoofer cables and put on 1/4" jacks on the end, or do I have to buy a special cord that converts rca to 1/4"? And should I use nice monster sub cable or some cheap ones? I think i'll probably use a nice monster y connecter with nice subwoofer interconnects with 1/4" jacks on them. Then I'll use some pretty nice 8 gauge speaker wire to the subs.

This message has been edited by jwadd21 on 08-22-2002 at 02:44 AM

We included a 1/4" to RCA adaptor with each Fidek---not sure if you'll get it though. If not,all you need to get is a $2 adaptor from radioshack...the MONO 1/4" to rca adaptor. Then just use any old audio cable you have for the connection between the receiver subwoofer out and the Fidek input. You can Y the input into both channels on the FIDEK and use it in stereo mode---or just set the FIDEK to bridge and wire the subs in series(which would give you 1 8ohm load to the amp). For wiring, any generic 16g is fine for runs up to 12-16ft. 14g up to 25ft and I would go with 12g over 25-30ft.

TV

I would not use 14 or smaller gague, just me.

------------------

quote:

Originally posted by TVodhanel:

We included a 1/4" to RCA adaptor with each Fidek---not sure if you'll get it though. If not,all you need to get is a $2 adaptor from radioshack...the MONO 1/4" to rca adaptor. Then just use any old audio cable you have for the connection between the receiver subwoofer out and the Fidek input. You can Y the input into both channels on the FIDEK and use it in stereo mode---or just set the FIDEK to bridge and wire the subs in series(which would give you 1 8ohm load to the amp). For wiring, any generic 16g is fine for runs up to 12-16ft. 14g up to 25ft and I would go with 12g over 25-30ft.

TV

THe guy at RS said to get stereo phonic, so i got those. maybe thats why it doesnt work right...