New to me Klipsch Reference R26-F possible crossover mod

creeve

One thing that I found to tame the horn a bit was not directing the speaker/horn to converge at MLP.  Aiming the horn to the shoulders or slightly behind the MLP or have then converge in front of the MLP helped and it's free.  I personally don't ami any of the horn speaker directly at me including surround.

Thanks for the suggestion, I was playing with this a bit earlier this afternoon actually. It does tame it down some, but seems to be at the expense of imaging and soundstage a bit at least in my room.  Still playing with it though. 

• Like 1

When you get yours back I would be interested in the mods made to it and how it improved the sound for you.

I will put you in touch with the person who did them if you'd like.

I think you will be more than happy with the speakers once you get some tubes running through them.

• Like 1

Chris, the guy Jim was referring to with the KF-28s is Stu ("ChromeMagnum").  I will send him an email asking him to put in his thoughts.  You mentioned having an electronics background so why not build your own amp?  For not much more than the cost of an imported amp you can build something which will offer amazing performance.  Currently, there are a number of designs in the tubes section of the forum for your review, as well as others available as well.  By the way, what state are you in?

Maynard 

• Like 1

Chris, the guy Jim was referring to with the KF-28s is Stu ("ChromeMagnum").  I will send him an email asking him to put in his thoughts.  You mentioned having an electronics background so why not build your own amp?  For not much more than the cost of an imported amp you can build something which will offer amazing performance.  Currently, there are a number of designs in the tubes section of the forum for your review, as well as others available as well.  By the way, what state are you in?

Maynard 

I could build one, I have thought about it before.  I will check out some of the schematics on the forum here.  Its been a while since I priced things out, but if I remember correctly the transformers were going to cost a small fortune.  Any suggestions on inexpensive sources for those?  I am in Florida by the way.

Edited by creeve

Chris, I'd do one of the Chinese amps that I have and sent to a forum member here,Maynard also knows the member and both of them helped on the amp. All I had done was new caps and resistors and a small amount on the circuit. That was it, and was told it made trhe world of a difference in it. The transformers from what I was told aren't bad at all and I have it running strictly in triode mode. The amps can be runb either way in their set up, and if you wanted to be able to do that, I'm sure all you'd need to put in is a switch. I prefer the triode mode for the imaging, so that's why I had the circuit changed slightly. $250.00 shipped, and another $40-50 tops in upgraded stuff and you're in it for $300.00.

You can experiment with the horn output by taking off the RED binding strap and placing a .5 ohm resistor in series with the TOP RED binding post. Then reconnect a wire from the resistor to the bottom RED binding post.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will try that in the mean time while I decide what I am going to do for a tube amp. Any suggestions on wattage for the resistor?

Chris, this is mt thread on upgrading my amp. I am not IMO ready to try my hand at building an amp yet, so I did this.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/160167-amp-upgrade-or-not/

There are schematics on it you could follow once getting a DIY and 2 of the people who helped on it are very helpful with questions.

Just had a chance to check out your thread.  I was actually looking at a very similar amp, I think alot of these are the same but are re-branded.  Was good to hear that the iron in these little amps were decent because like you, that was a concern of mine as well.  I think after the holidays are done I will be making a move here.  Thanks for all the input.

Any suggestions on inexpensive sources for those?

Hello Creeve welcome to the forum!!

Edcor has really good prices but you have to wait for them to be built. https://edcorusa.com/

If you have an electronic background then things will be fairly easy. Also you can ask me any questions if you like I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks for the info.  Just had a chance to check them out and yes, the prices are very good on the transformers.  I think I may go the route that Jim did and pick up one of those import amps and mod it.  I like what you did there with his, so when I do get something after the holidays are done i am sure I will have some questions for you if you don't mind.  Thanks again.