Specimen Horns

pbphoto

Went to an Andrew Bird show this week at the Fourth Presbyterian Church in downtown Chicago.  It's a beautiful old cathedral - we sat in the pews and he was up at the altar.  Apparently he's a huge fan of Specimen Speakers.  He had four of the giant ($36K/pair) XL horns, a spinning double horn ($33K), and then probably close to 20 smaller horns scattered in front and behind him.  I'm not sure if all the smaller ones were connected but supposedly his instruments are piped through the large horns.  Then he had some standard pro-concert speakers (not sure of the brand) on the left and right extending out into the pews.  The sound was very good IMHO for a cavernous church, but I'm not sure it was like $100K good.  I was in the front third of the pews and all the vocals were coming through the run-of-the-mill pro-concert speakers.  I could hear a lot of sound coming from the giant horns but when that double horn started spinning, I couldn't tell a difference.  Although it was a stunning stage setup, I couldn't help think that my La Scala II's would sound better for a lot less money up there.

Anybody have any experience with these Specimen Horns?  I was checking out their website while waiting for the show to start and my wife said "don't get any ideas."

post-61736-0-61700000-1449829286_thumb.j