Klipschorn Finishes

BMWM5

Does anyone know exactly what brand of stain and tint Klipsch used in 1990 for their walnut cabinets.  I want to sand mine down, re-stain and lacquer them.

I need to know the exact stain the factory used.  Can't get any information from Corporate in Indianapolis.  Thanks.

They are oiled.  I want to sand them down to remove some of the imperfections without going through the veneer.  I've done this numerous times w/Heresy's, Forte's & Chorus's.  I've then applied

a Minwax stain usually golden oak for oak speakers & a light walnut for the walnut finishes.

On these I'd like to get them as close to the original as possible.  All I need to know is the make and shade of the stain Klipsch uses at the factory in Hope.  That's all.

Thanks for your reply.

Dear Babadono,

I think you're missing my point.  I want to sand down the original finish and re-stain the entire cabinets with the same exact product they use to stain the cabinets at the factory in Hope.  I'm not interested in touching them up or putting a coat of finish or tung oil on them.  I cannot get an answer out of Klipsch Corporate so I thought someone on this forum who has worked at the Hope, Arkansas factory can assist me.  Thanks anyway.

Jim,

As I'm finding out.  I may just end up breaking down the top sections and giving them to a professional furniture refinisher to re-do the cabinets over.  I did it once before and the cabinets came out looking much better than the ones coming out of Hope.  The 7 coats of lacquer really did the trick.

I understand what you want to do. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer in my response. I think the walnut veneer is left nautral. Then a product like Watco with no stain is used for the 'oil' finish or clear lacquer for the 'lacquer' finish. But I'm no expert and will certainly defer if someone from the factory says I'm full of you know what.

Dear Babando,

No problem.  At some point I'll figure out what to so.  Another question.  What year were your Khorns manufactured?  Have you ever replaced the original crossovers w/Crites?  The pair I have upstairs in

my living room have been replaced w/Crites.  The speakers were manufactured in 1985 and had the AK-3 crossovers.  The Monster Cables were completely oxidized and green.  The room upstairs has oak floors.  The pair I've been talking about are downstairs in my family room which has a carpeted floor.  This pair was manufactured in 1990 and have the AK-3 Crossovers.  The Monster Cable to the

horns & woofer is fine.  I'm thinking of replacing these with Crites Crossovers. 

I find the speakers upstairs much more livelier than the ones downstairs.  The downstairs family room K-Horns are more subdued.  Just wondering if had any experience with these.

Thanks.