What to do with 79 Heresy I

SBirmo

• 9 months later...

Sorry I'm kinda late to the party!

I've redone several H's and a pair of beat up C's that had mahogany veneer that was painted black and had chicken wire in front of the woofers ala Animal House.

I suggest sanding with a random orbital sander  60-80 grit on medium speed until you start seeing some veneer showing through then switch to 150-220 and lower the speed.  Stripping is nasty and could affect the veneer glue.  If the surface is okay then fill any dents/cracks with stained filler and sand with 500 grit.    I like to use Minwax wipe on satin poly and sand between coats with 400 grit.  After about 5 coats I sand and let dry for 3-4 days then wet sand with 400 grit wet sand paper using bowl of water with some dish soap in it to act as a lubricant.  Sand until the shine is gone and poly is level then wipe with wet towel then dry towel.  Then use 0000 steel wool and Minwax finishing wax and applying to take out the sandpaper scratches working in a straight and circular motion interchangeably.  Some people wait 30 minutes before removing wax but you can wipe excess off with a new soft terry cloth and buff to your hearts content.  Makes a really smooth shine - takes out dust nibs and scratches and water beads up  on the finish.

Just a suggestion.  Good luck.