kg4 speaker vibration

MikeWi

I have a pair of KG4 speakers. When I turn the volume up high with a lot of base the woofers go into a huge vibration (the cones are going in & out very quickly and to their maximum travel) This is not good. Turning down the volume & lowering the base puts them back into control. If anyone has an idea what might cause this I would love to hear about it.

Thanks

Mikew

Mike,

Not sure how much power you're putting to these, but KG4's have a maximum power rating of 100 Watts and a freq resp down to 38Hz. There were models built for 4 Ohm and 6 Ohm loads. So check the Ohm rating of your receiver or amp too. I'm wondering if your receiver is being pushed its limits, if so you risk causing it to clip, which could damage the horns and/or woofer. Exceeding the power requirements for the speakers can damage them as well. You can also give Klipsch Tech Support a call at 1-800-Klipsch.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

A couple issues to address.

1. The cone travel, in and of itself is not a major problem. They do that when playing loud music. If the cone is making a whacking noise, then it is bottoming out and you are exceeding the speakers abilities. The main thing you want to watch out for is clipping the output on the amp (i.e., driving the amp to DC causing arc welding of the voice coils- this is most easily done on budget and mid-fi quality s-s electonics)

2. What source are you using? T-tables/tonearms will often transmit low frequency (<10HZ) to the amp/peakers causing cone flap.

------------------

2 Channel

Transport: CEC TL-2X

DAC: Audiomat Maestro

Pre-amp: Wyetech Jade

Amps: Jeff Korneff 45

Interconects/Speaker cable: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Power cords/line conditioner: CPCC Top Gun, Model 11, Super Power Block

Equip Stand: Grand Prix Audio Monaco

Belle Klipsch, K-horns

Second system- My dad's old Fisher 400-refurbished, Heresy II, Vecteur Variation CD player

Are they 4, 6, or 8 OHM KG4s, there was a lot of impedence differences on them!

Hooking a 4ohm speaker to a 8ohm amp will drive the drivers harder!

If you hook them up to a 4 ohm amp, they will need a bit more power, and move less, i owned a pair, traded them off, because they were 4 ohm, and the cornwalls were 8!

didnt want to hurt my amp, using 2 different impedences!

Regards Jim

This message has been edited by Jim Cornell on 08-26-2002 at 10:43 PM

1. I am driving these kg4's with a 35 watt pioneer receiver.

2. It does only occur when I use my dual tuntable or my rega turntable.

3. They are 4 ohm speakers.

4. Is there any way to convert these speakers to 8 ohms ?

This message has been edited by MikeWi on 08-27-2002 at 06:22 AM

What you are seeing is the result of very low frequency (below audible range, probably in the 10Hz or so area) signals coming from the turntable(s). Below the resonant frequency of the KG4 (low 30's) the speakers are basically undamped, so if you hit them with a very low frequency signal the woofers will pump in and out in a very alarming way. Smile.gif

If your receiver has a "subsonic filter" on it, switch it in when listening to LPs. If not, then you either have to back off the bass control or find some way to damp the low frequency resonance of the turntable. If the resonance is due to acoustic feedback from the speakers to the turntable, moving the table further away from the speakers might help. However, I'm guessing it's due more to either warped records, a cartridge-headshell-arm combo that has an unfortunate resonant frequency, or an insufficiently isolated turntable that's sitting on something that reacts with the tables suspension to cause this resonance.

One thing that you might want to try, if you have the $$$ available, is switching to one of the Shure cartridges with the little built-in damper, like the M97-xE, $100 at the Needle Doctor:

http://www.needledoctor.com/showitem.cfm?catnum=2&itemnum=221

These work very well at eliminating exactly the sort of problem you're looking at.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Thanks to everyone who replied to this topic.

I have moved the turntable father away from the speakers & this helped quite a bit. I also tried a lower powered sony amp (25 watts) with a speaker connection rated at 4-8 ohms. This also seemed to help.

I love these kg4 speakers so if anyone has any more ideas please let me know.

Thanks again...........

Mike W.