NAD T955 Fried. Please help...

ElCid79

NAD T955 fried. Please help.
Well, a few days ago I power up my home theater, and I hear a relay click on after the rest of the amp boots up. Everything starts, and is working. A few minutes later I get a really stinky electrical smell. So I sniff around, and put my hand on top of the amp, and find that the number two channel is hot, and smells.

I shut everything down, wait about 24 hours, and fire it back up. Within 30 seconds I can smell it again, and feel the heat. So I shut it down. So here is where I am.

The receiver that I am using is very out of date and in need of updating. It is a Marantz SR7001. The amp obviously is the T955 by NAD.

Is it worth attempting to repair the NAD amp and then upgrading my Marantz. Or should I simply toss both of them, and purchase a modern Receiver. Or should I toss them both and buy a new processor and amp.

What would you all recommend.

As per the rest of my system, I have a Marantz TT-15s1 turn table, hooked into a Cambridge audio 640 preamp.

Speakers are a
Mains - Klipsch KF-28
Center - Klipsch Synergy SC-1
Surrounds - Klipsch Synergy SF-1
Sub - Klipsch Synergy KSW-12

I really enjoyed this pre-pro setup. 

Sorry about your misfortune but I would not trash the amp.  If only one channel took a dump, send it off and get an estimate for repair and full checkup on all channels.

Most repair centers will charge a diagnostic fee which may be $50.00 to $75.00.  If the repair cost upwards of say $300.00(which I highly doubt) and you think that is not worth your hard earned $$$, have them send it back and Ebay it for $150.00 "as is" to recoup the $$$ you just put out.

Bill

• Like 1

I think that is fantastic advice Bill.   Should I send it to the NAD certified service center?  Or just drive it up to a local electronics repair place?   I am leaning toward NAD but they are rather far away, and I am not a huge fan of shipping electronics around.   

I think that is fantastic advice Bill.   Should I send it to the NAD certified service center?  Or just drive it up to a local electronics repair place?   I am leaning toward NAD but they are rather far away, and I am not a huge fan of shipping electronics around.   

I would give your local repair place a call and pick his brain a bit and explain what is going on with your NAD.  Then decide from there.  I have had excellent service from my local guy with amp repairs.

Bill

Sorry to hear about your amp,

And as always we become attached to our gear especially if we've had them for a while,

My system is very similar to yours except quartets,acurus 125x5 and outlaw950.

It's probably going to cost close to your 300,I'd definitely look at replacing the amp,probably get something 30 day trial? Outlaw Has a amp 500+. Only thing about shipping is cost,the amp isn't working anyway nothing to fear there.

Receiver allows you to regain a portion of your outlay,and move you a few steps forward as far as features are concern.

Do what's best for you, equipment,and financial wise.