Another New Guy Here

GatorBrad

Hello Brad :)

Welcome to the forum!

:emotion-21: Thumbs up on Pioneer Elite, but as stated, look for something that at least has pre outputs so you can later move to an outboard amp or amps, as the amps in receivers are a compromise on both cost and space and you can later improve your system.

Any chance that you could be talked out of the reference Premiere for buying something used that sounds a lot better?

A pair of used Heresy's or even better yet, some used La Scala's with a sub will give you tons better sound.

If you have any doubts, ask Youthman and he will confirm it is the truth!

As stated, he has had just about every Reference model ever made and I was always trying to stear him in the right direction, but he did not like the dated look of the Heritage models of Klipsch, which are the ones designed by the founder Paul Klipsch that built the name that sells all of the others. Well Youthman stumbled on some La Scalas cheap and picked them up so he could say he had been there / done that, and he has never looked back after owning them, so go ahead and ask if you might be missing out???

Roger  :emotion-14:   

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

• Moderators
As stated, he has had just about every Reference model ever made and I was always trying to stear him in the right direction, but he did not like the dated look of the Heritage models of Klipsch, which are the ones designed by the founder Paul Klipsch that built the name that sells all of the others. Well Youthman stumbled on some La Scalas cheap and picked them up so he could say he had been there / done that, and he has never looked back after owning them, so go ahead and ask if you might be missing out???

You pretty much nailed it Roger.  I bought the LaScalas on a whim just to hear them in my own home and had no idea what I was about to hear.  I realize not everyone has the ability to have very large floorstanding speakers but if you ever get the chance to demo some heritage speakers...they are great...for both music and for HT.

• Like 1

As stated, he has had just about every Reference model ever made and I was always trying to stear him in the right direction, but he did not like the dated look of the Heritage models of Klipsch, which are the ones designed by the founder Paul Klipsch that built the name that sells all of the others. Well Youthman stumbled on some La Scalas cheap and picked them up so he could say he had been there / done that, and he has never looked back after owning them, so go ahead and ask if you might be missing out???

You pretty much nailed it Roger.  I bought the LaScalas on a whim just to hear them in my own home and had no idea what I was about to hear.  I realize not everyone has the ability to have very large floorstanding speakers but if you ever get the chance to demo some heritage speakers...they are great...for both music and for HT.

What's a reasonable price for a pair of used La Scalas in good to excellent condition? I considered Heritage speakers to be sort of the endgame, whereas I'm just kind of getting started in all this, but I'm listening... You guys are freakin' dangerous!

• Like 1

Youthman finds the deals.

It is pretty easy to find La Scalas used for $1100-$1,600 a pair used, although I have stumbled on outrageous deals once in a while for a single that needs refinished for as low as $60 for a pro model or $100 for a single home model. If you want them right away, that is what they bring, which is also why I suggested the much cheaper and smaller choice of a set of Heresy's as an alternative.

The La Scalas will play way louder with a lot less power than the Reference Premiere and with a lot more detail as well. If you can spend the money on a used set of La Scalas now, save up for a horn loaded sub next :)

Roger

• Moderators
What's a reasonable price for a pair of used La Scalas in good to excellent condition? I considered Heritage speakers to be sort of the endgame, whereas I'm just kind of getting started in all this, but I'm listening... You guys are freakin' dangerous!

I'm just 20min East of Tampa if you ever want to hear what LaScalas sound like.  I also have RF-7ii with DeanG Crossovers.

• Like 1

LaScalas have been made for a very long time, starting in the 1960's. So you could easily run across a pair that's 40 years old, all the way through 2005... When the last LaScala I was made.

A lot of the cost will depend on location, the condition of the cabinets, the crossover and finish. Though most all LaScala I's were either Unfinished Birch (commonly referred to as Birch Raw - BR), Birch Lacquer (BL) or Birch Black. And you will find that the Birch Raw models have been stained, lacquered or painted all kinds of colors.

Another consideration, is that any pair 15-20 years or older will probably need a crossover refresh to sound it's best. That may or may not be important to you initially, but there is a cost to figure in, if you want to get that done.

As far as pricing, an older Birch Raw pair in good condition (that's probably been stained by the original owner), with some nicks and scratches, would probably start in the $700-$800 range.

A much newer pair with the original Birch Lacquer finish, with factory grills, could easily be in the $1500-$1700 range.

Of course you will find some that are more/less than that range. But they're probably in much worse condition (on the low end) or maybe a factory one off with a special finish or full grills.

I own 3 pairs, 1988 Birch Raw, 1999 Birch Lacquer with grills and 2002 Birch Lacquer with grills. And all 3 pair were in the price range I listed.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111114114503/http://www.klipsch.com/lascala-floorstanding-speaker

http://www.critesspeakers.com/crossover_repair_kits.html

Edited by GPBusa