WTB/help, amplifier

confetti

My beloved old NAD has died and they want too much to fix it, sigh. I've got RF7s that I bought well before I retired and became very happy but shockingly poor. I'm going to have to search for a very cheap amp - as close to $100 as I can tho I can swing a little higher - does anyone have a bargain for me? Someone was offering a Luxman for $125 in here but I can't find the post - search won't function. 

I'm watching Ebay and craigslist and may decide to save up for a few months - I really would like to get the best bang for my embarrassingly tiny bucks.  

Cosmetics don't matter at all to me if everything's in working order. (Ha - that sounds like my retirement motto.)

I have a few confused, too long lists going of what I should look for - all and any suggestions would be much appreciated! 

Interesting, wdecho. I actually almost purchased the Dayton DTA , the sound is very well reviewed, but a LOT of Amazon reviews are reporting that it craps out within a year. The Topping has fewer buyers, but no reliability complaints - I hadn't heard of it. Apparently it tends to underpower one channel especially at low volumes, but it's now double starred on my list.

I don't understand the board thing, looks like it requires piecing things together, not something that I undertake easily. 

I really love those old, simple, heavy amps, keep thinking a right one will flow my way. BTW, would a Luxman pair well with my speakers? My Dad had one on his Infinity towers; the whole setup sounded and boxy but the speakers were really ancient and may have been degraded. 

Confetti,

Welcome to the forum.

Are you considering an integrated amp?

BTW, would a Luxman pair well with my speakers?

Yes, especially if you are talking about an R-117(160 very conservatively rated watts/ch), which is a stereo receiver, and a very fine one indeed.   An R-115 would also work fine.

http://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2014/01/luxman-r-117.html

Bill

Edited by willland

Those minis are a neat idea, thanks. For $25 I could use it as a temp if I didn't like it much while I cut to beans and rice and saved a few pennies...   I'm currently listening to stuff on the laptop with a little borrowed bluetooth, it's pretty awful, really used to that NAD.

But darn, where's that recent post offering the Luxman? Search is failing me here...

I'll give it two weeks and see if anything else turns up here or elsewhere - if not I'll give that a try, wdecho. Mostly worry about the reliability - so many complaints about that on all of them. Pretty amazing sounding little guys, though, by all accounts.

Hm,I  just took Ebay off North America only and there are a slew of NADS from the UK - shipping is bad but some are pretty low, I maybe cld push the envelope...

Are there ANY NADS to avoid? Anything cheaper used that's really comparable and cheaper that I might really keep my eye out for?

I have been a fan of class D for a while but have recently discovered Crown amps when I decided to go to active crossovers. I have purchased several Crown D75A  amps off Ebay for under a $100, and got a bigger more powerful PS-200 for around $150 shipped.  All sound very good on my big horns and might be a good choice for your more power hungry RF-7s, esp. the PS-200.

wdecho, have you used your minis for any length of time? No matter where I go there are so many reports about channels going out, pins breaking, total death inside of 6 months...  if not for that I'd really try one. everyone loves the sound. Are they particularly sensitive to any minor ill-use or something?

My old Nad survived decades - toddlers, moves, droppage, scentsy wax spilled thru the grate, something that gave it a big dent...   I think I'm grieving, cough.

They really are tempting...  will ponder.

I don't build stuff or wire stuff. Not even easy stuff. I make muffins, and I plug stuff in.  So if I went that route I'd go for one of the boxed items. 

Edited by confetti

Well, I nabbed a yamaha rxv 1300 for $115 at the pawn shop, haven't hooked it up yet but it'll do - some people really like that sound so I'm interested in what it does. Will probly want to blow my roof off, but I dunno if it does nuance. But for $100, what am I thinking? Thanks for turning me on to the DT world, wdecho - was just talking with my son-in-law about it and he's been wanting to check it out, so I'll get a chance to see it in action. It's really very cool.