In 2016-2017, a good year at Strathmore w/the National Philharmonic

LarryC

After a few years of lackluster programming, the National Philharmonic (a smallish but well-led regional orchestra) is presenting some good programs during the upcoming 2016-2017 season at the Strathmore Music Center in Bethesda, MD.  Klipsch fans and friends have enjoyed several memorable concerts there, beginning with The Planets about 10 years ago.

The only recent downside is the conductor's closing the sensationally close balcony seats, so we now have to make do with choice Orchestra and "Promenade Box Seats" that are close to the stage.

Here are selected highlights:

Sept. 17, 2016 -- Beethoven, 7th Symphony

October 8, 2016 -- Vivaldi, Four Seasons

Piazzolla, The Four Seasons of Buenos Aires

This remarkable work by the great tango composer is well worth hearing.

January 14, 2017 -- Bach, Double Concerto for Two Violins in D minor

January 28, 2017 -- Dvorak, Symphony No. 8

March 18, 2017 -- Brahms, Requiem

Leshnoff, Zohar

Jonathan Leshnoff is my music and composition teacher! 

April 1, 2017 -- Mozart, Piano Concerto No. 23

Symphony No. 40

April 22, 2017 -- Mussorgsky/Ravel, Pictures at an Exhibition

May 20, 2017 -- Orff, Carmina Burana

Edited by LarryC

Please let me know if anyone is especially interested in one or more of these concerts.  I can look into group rates and seating arrangements.  We can do a pre-concert dinner, which is always fun.

-- Larry

That is a great lineup Larry.  I'd especially like to see Carmina Burana again.

I agree, and I think Carmina might be the Strathmore concert of the year!  What do others think?  Should this be the next group Strathmore outing?

If we got enough interest, I could ask about opening those the sensational Promenade Right Front 1st balcony seating.  I doubt we would be successful, but who knows?...

Is the Saturday, May 20 date OK for most people?  Too often in the past, we've had major days like Father's Day interfere with interest in attending.  Does everyone know Carmina Burana?  One of the absolutely great masterpieces of the 20th century, accessible to those with any and all interests in music -- not just a classical war-horse.

Edited by LarryC