Denon AVR 4802

Greek

I recently purchased the Denon 4802. Alot of bells and whistles for a beginner as myself. Also in my system the Philips 50 DVD player and Klipsh Quartets for fronts and reference center, SW, and surround rears. On playing musical cd's are the pure direct/direct/stereo options the ideal applications to play music cd's? Or, are the DENON surround modes applicable to use listening to music cd's? If so....which surround mode is most appropriate? Is there an "un-official" Denon web site for tech/help assistance?

Greek-

There are probably a few websites that you could use for Denon help, but there are a ton of memebers on this board that have Denons and would be more then happy to help you.

As for which mode, IMO it really depends on the CD and why you are listening to it. For parties, I usually set my system to 5 channel stereo, so the sound is more enveloping. For critical listening, I often use two modes, Direct & Stereo (my 3801 does not have "Pure Direct", but I assume that it is only an Analog bypass and is irrelevent if you are using digital inputs from your CDP). Direct & Pure Direct sent the full range of frequencies to your speakers, i.e. it bypasses your base management settings. Stereo mode sends only the freq. above your Base management settings to your main speakers. Some CDs i can't tell the difference between Direct & Stereo, but others there is a HUGE difference. No matter which CD I typically listen to them in Direct, but that is simply a personal preference. You need to listen to them to figure out what mode you like best!

Good luck & enjoy the Denon!

-Dave

------------------

Home Theater

Dave,

Thanks for replying back - its appreciated. i had bought the 3801 about a month ago, but decided to return it and exchange it for the 4802. So, you dont use the Denon "surround" modes to listen to your musical cds? Actually I have been somewhat experimenting with the direct and stereo modes lately. Now the musical DVD's - what settings are you using? I'm using my Philips Q50 DVD player with optical digital inputs to play my music cds. Whats your thoughts about using my DVDP to spin my musical cd's? What does your system consist of?

Denon 4802

Philips Q50 DVD player

Klipsch Quartets (fronts)

-Transparent "the wave 200" connects for fronts

RSW-10 sub

RC-3 II

RS-3 II

Greek-

I almost exclusively listen to classical music CDs and they just don't sound right when you hear the string section behind you! That is why i don't fudge with the surround modes, but i have to admit that 5 channel stereo is MUCH more enveloping acoustically. The 3801 does not have any base management so getting my Sub & main speakers to blend well is difficult with a fixed 80 Hz crossover that the Stereo settings uses, that is why i often go to teh Direct mode which does not use a crossover setting, ie full frequency range goes to the mains.

As for musical DVDs, don't have any. I look for very specific recordings of classical music. Alot of which come from the 50s and 60s and only have been "recently" transfered to CDs, so its pointless for me to look at DVD-Audio or SCAD.

My system and its components can been seen following the hyperlink at the botton of this post. The website is almost out of date since I recently purchased a Acurus ACT-3ABM pre/pro and should be getting a Sherbourn 5/1500 amp shortly. I have also replaced all of my interconnects with custom DIY cables (Canare LV-77S cable with RCAP-C77 RCA connections). All of these upgrades were rather unexpected and its all because I got a fantastic deal on the ACT-3 that i simply couldn't say NO too. Except I had one minor snag, the ACT-3 was having significant problems and has been sent back to Klipsch/Mondial for repair (thank god i got it from an authorized dealer!!!)

The purchase i was planning on was to get a dedicated CDP (like you i'm using my DVD to play CDs), something like the Exposure 2010 or Arcam DiVA CD82. Most ppl agree that the a dedicated CDP is significantly better at playing CDs then a DVD player and I will be purchasing a CDP when i save up the $$$. But i have happily lived spinning the CDs on the DVD player, so if it don't sound bad to you, save the $$$ and don't get a dedicated CDP. IMHO.

Hope this helps.....

-Dave

------------------

Home Theater