Reconing?

Mallette

Not much response to the "Speaker Help" thread, but the one I got is useful. So I've a couple of questions about reconing.

First, seems I think of reconeing mainly with tears and damage directly to the paper. This speaker (the Frazier) is showing signs of being "sprung." Not sure what the tech term is for it, but generally result of overpower that seems to "spring" the piston out of line such that it rattles.

Will reconeing cure this?

Should one do this in pairs? The other is perfectly fine, but I'm wonder if the sonic qualities might be altered enough for them not to match.

Pardon my ignorance, but I suddenlly realized I really knew nothing about this process.

Dave

History in Brief

Jack Frazier began manufacturing commercial loudspeakers around 1952 in Dallas, Texas. During the 1960s and 70s, the company offered consumer loudspeakers in addition to the commercial products. Both of these product lines, commercial and consumer, have been out of production since 1986.

The assets of Frazier, Incorporated, were purchased by Sound-Craft Systems of Morrilton, Arkansas, in 1986. At that time development of the current line of professional audio loudspeakers was begun. Spare parts for out-of production Frazier products are no longer available. If you have an obsolete Frazier loudspeaker - the Frazier logo will be in script - it is no longer possible to purchase exact replacement parts.

Frazier Loudspeakers provides complete parts and service support for all of our products manufactured since 1986.

Reconing normally consists of replacing the cone, surround, spider and voice coil. So it can fix problems in any of these areas.

If I were reconing one of your speakers, I would recone both to keep them sounding the same. This is particularly important if the reconing is done with aftermarket parts.

John: It's a shame they elected not to support Jack's legacy. I really don't know how many people still have his classic speakers, but I'll bet they're loyal. Frazier was the only other speakers I recall PWK having anything really positive to say about. In the current climate, I think these designs would sell again. Pefect match with tube amps and very much kindred spirits to Klipsch.

Looking at the specs for the Eleven, I find them almost unbelieveable. 107db/1/meter. Wow. The "Thing" is also awesome. The entire line really should sell like hotcakes in this market.

Dave