Questions about the Heresy I

First time poster here, and well, I need a lot of help. A LOT.

I've been passed down a set of Klipsch Heresy I's, marked 17N985 (this does mean they're circa 1975, correct?), and I'm trying to build a solid set around them. This isn't for a normal use, however, and I can imagine some of the audiophiles among you are going to shake your collective heads and think I'm crazy. I'm trying to use these speakers for house parties, outside gatherings, etc. The primary genre of music being played will definitely be rap and electronic/house/dubstep. I used two at a pool party connected to a Pioneer SX-1900 stereo receiver, and it worked out pretty well. Definitely could use a sub to pair with them. My budget is...well, I have no clue. Generally, I would not say very high.

17N985

H-WO

Any general information, as well as how they should be set up, stereo receiver to use with them, and an amp to pair would be absolutely wonderful. Thanks for reading!

Congrats on the new speakers!  Welcome to the forum with your Post # 1, you are off to a good start on your Klipsch journey.  :)

+++

First of all, they are your speakers, you use them the way you think best whatever way you please, with what ever music pleases you!  No snobbery here!

And yes, the letter N means they were born in 1975.

As far as gear to drive them, they are very efficient and almost any AVR, amp or receiver will drive them to loud levels.  I say use them with the Pio 1900 you already have and enjoy them.

I believe I would leave the Heresy's in more of a home setting and get some type of Peavey cabinets (or the likes) in some towers with more bass.  Something like the Peavey Impulse 1015 (15" woofer and compression driver for highs) will rock and can be found used pretty reasonable.  But, on a limited budget, that may not work.  There's many others out there and you may end up killing the Heresy's as they don't have the protection like their KP201 brother.  Just my $.02.  YMMV.

Edited by avguytx

The Heresy's will be fine for what you will be using them for. If you are anything like my son, most of the watts go into the sub. You need a good pro amp and sub., I built a Bill Fitzmaurice Tuba 30 a year or so ago, and really liked the way it hit. I also liked the cost. A pair of those would rock any patio party with any music you want. I would buy a pro amp for the sub{s} based on brand and wattage needed, and mix it all with an electronic crossover or a mixing board or use the sub out on that receiver of yours.

There are a million ways to skin the cat, but you will definitely need a pro sub or two for outdoor and for the rap/dubstuff...

Edited by mustang guy

Thanks guys for the responses! I saw those Peaveys...and then the price. Definitely out of my range right now. I'd love a pair of those, but definitely not feasible at the time. Gives you an idea that the budget is definitely low.

The Pio worked pretty well, but when I went to around 8.5-9 and above on the volume, the sound cut off unexpectedly. I turned it down to probably 8 and juiced the equalizers a bit and was able to get a good sound...I just need that KICK. Recommendations for a sub? And I know absolutely nothing about how to pair it with an amp, unfortunately. Advice there would be great!

I literally used a Y splitter and plugged my iphone right into the Pio, so that was how simplistic my setup was.

Thanks guys for the responses! I saw those Peaveys...and then the price. Definitely out of my range right now. I'd love a pair of those, but definitely not feasible at the time. Gives you an idea that the budget is definitely low.

The Pio worked pretty well, but when I went to around 8.5-9 and above on the volume, the sound cut off unexpectedly. I turned it down to probably 8 and juiced the equalizers a bit and was able to get a good sound...I just need that KICK. Recommendations for a sub? And I know absolutely nothing about how to pair it with an amp, unfortunately. Advice there would be great!

I literally used a Y splitter and plugged my iphone right into the Pio, so that was how simplistic my setup was.

... Bill Fitzmaurice Tuba 30 ... It's a DIY. 

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/T30T45.html