8 ohms bass drivers. Cabs and crossovers. updated

Zoef

Guys,

Would it be possible to use a 8 ohms bass driver in a La Scala, Klipschorn or Belle?

((EDIT: To be more specific.. we are only talking about 4 ohms vs 8 ohms.

I am awere about all the other parameters needed in a speaker design)

Also, can it be used with a Universal or (super)AA crossover?
Since it is only a 2.5mh inductor in the bass section i don't see a problem there. Am i wrong?

I know the Ap12 was designed to be a 6 ohms crossover with the 1 mh (Le) voicecoil of the k33 in series with the inductor. So a 8 Ohms driver would be a no go?

Br

Edited by Zoef

Edit: Ok, to be more specific.. we are only talking about 4 ohms vs 8 ohms.

I am awere about all the other parameters needed in a speaker design.

Edited by Zoef

Would it be possible to use a 8 ohms bass driver in a La Scala, Klipschorn or Belle?

EDIT: To be more specific.. we are only talking about 4 ohms vs 8 ohms. I am aware about all the other parameters needed in a speaker design)

Yes, it is possible to use an 8 Ohm woofer, but I don't think it would sound proper.  The stock K-33 woofer is 4 Ohm.

It will affect the bass sound, probably by having too much bass relative to the mid-bass.  I would think it would require a modification of the crossover network to sound the way it was designed.

+++

Also, can it be used with a Universal or (super) AA crossover?

What is "it?"  Are you asking if an 8 Ohm woofer can be used with a Universal crossover?

Klipsch makes the AA crossover.  Are you referring to the ALK  Universal crossover?  If so, I don't have any idea if it would sound good.  It would be best to ask the person who designed the crossover for his expert opinion.

Edited by wvu80

Hi Zoef, thanks, that helps to clarify things.

If you have the actual Universal crossover from ALK you might want to ask him how an 8 Ohm woofer might work with his crossover.  Maybe it would take a simple resistor to make it work properly.

There are others here on the Klipsch forum with more technical knowledge than I have.  It is early in the day 8:30 am as I write this. 

Give them some time to wake up, log in and give you some better opinions than mine.  B)

Edited by wvu80

I have all the schematics so i want to build my own crossovers. (alk universal or AA)

Don't know if alk wants to help me with this. can try.

i live in the netherlands... local time : 16:22

:-)

Good luck with that. The crossover would have to be redesigned, and the overall impedance of the LS would be increased. IMO, you need an efficient 4 Ohm driver in that bassbin unless you want to throw a lot of money and effort into making this work.

If you are having trouble locating K-33 woofers, see if you can track down a pair of these:  http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kappa_15C.pdf