will new cable reduce crackling?

global_groove6

anyone else find themselves constantly twisting or blowing on the miniplugs? Every couple hours of listening that dreaded static and crackling seems to return. If it doesn't happen on one satellite it goes off in another. It's getting to be a real pain. I plan on making new cables this week. Do you think this will solve the problem?

If you plan to make them yourself, it should not be that expensive (stupid to buy the Monster wire upgrade if it turns out to be something else).

Does the crackling appear no matter WHAT you play? When I started using PowerDVD XP 4, the speakers started to sound like an old radio after an hour or so of DVD playing. Nothing else produced it, and it disappeared completely when I changed to WinDVD 4.

- Hardy

quote:

Originally posted by justin_tx_16:

Thanks for the compliments. And you BETTER give me an update or I am going to send you some BOSE speakers in the mail. muhahahah
Wink.gif

Got all the parts today. Had to go to 3 different radio shacks to find 4 of those mono mini plugs. Tommorrow I will attempt this project! I'll pass on the Bose for now.. cwm35.gifcwm13.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Big Sheesh:

Global Groove 6:

Which brand of 16AWG speaker wires did you buy?

Yeah, most Radio Shacks in Canada only carry 2 mono plugs per store. I will have to go to 2 today to get all 4. I live in Vancouver, BC btw.

I just picked up 50 feet of Radio Shack Brand 16 awg stranded. It was $11.99 Canadian. Part # 278-1267

quote:

Originally posted by Big Sheesh:

Global:

The RS speaker wires have two different metals for negative and positive right?

One's copper and the other is kinda like aluminum/silver colored right?

yeah they just make it 2 different colours so it will be easier to wire it in proper polarity. Copper is usually positive and silver negative but I don't think it really matters, wire is wire, just as long as u wire in phase.

quote:

Originally posted by global_groove6:

yeah they just make it 2 different colours so it will be easier to wire it in proper polarity. Copper is usually positive and silver negative but I don't think it really matters, wire is wire, just as long as u wire in phase.

right, partly. wire is not just wire the silver wire is not as high of quality as the copper, you have the polarity and whatnot info right, but if you see copper wire and soliver wire, go for the copper if youhave the choice. here you clearly don't, unless you step up to the Radio Shack MegaCable.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

yeah your right justin, I was just thinking that alot of higher end car audio wire is silver coloured. I think some of it is actually copper wire tinned silver though...Also, when u say the silver is not as high quality, do u think it has more resistance then the copper? I wonder if you could measure it with a DMM. oh and I doubt it's even silver, probably just aluminum. Real silver would be some pretty expensive wire especially for radio shack. cwm12.gif

i could get all technical if you wanted Smile.gif

it is really aluminum, higher resistance, heats up, think of old wires in old houses, caught the houses on fire! just not a good choice haha.

copper is good, gold, real gold, is a good choice haha. i have heard of carbon cables... super expensive and not sure how it really works.

what you really want, copper cable that is oxygen/oxide free, plenum rated, with pins on the ends. but that is expensive Smile.gif not really needed for this system. for my higher end stuff I use this type of wire.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

Email Me

• 1 month later...

----------------

On 9/6/2002 5:46:00 PM justin_tx_16 wrote:

i could get all technical if you wanted
"<a
http://216.37.9.58/ubb/smilies/Smile.gif">

it is really aluminum, higher resistance, heats up, think of old wires in old houses, caught the houses on fire! just not a good choice haha.

copper is good, gold, real gold, is a good choice haha. i have heard of carbon cables... super expensive and not sure how it really works.

what you really want, copper cable that is oxygen/oxide free, plenum rated, with pins on the ends. but that is expensive
"<a
http://216.37.9.58/ubb/smilies/Smile.gif"> not really needed for this system. for my higher end stuff I use this type of wire.

------------------

-justin

----------------

Sorry Justin but the previous post is correct. The silver conductor in speaker wire is indeed tinned copper, not aluminum. Also, plenum wire is used in non-conduit applications and offers absolutely no advantage in audio applications soundwise. Where do you come up with this stuff? Another example of good intentions but bad information.

There are three common types of speaker wire.

most common, copper.

then you find the copper tinned cable, one side is tinned, one side is just plane copper

the last, and worst IS aluminum cable. it is the worst cable i can think of using honestly, that is marketed for speakers. aluminum wiring was put in thousands of houses in the USA in the 60's-80's because it was cheap. (funny since it is a deminishing non renewable resource...) But when you get high power going through it, say 110V, the resistance is so much that the plastic PVC coating would melt off, exposing the wire to the wood frame of the house. The heat would cause the wood to combust and houses caught on fire. My parents bought a house that was aluminum wired and we had to get it totally redone.

radio shack sells all of the above

the cable he has, copper and then copper tinned. if you see a cable that is silver on both ends, and no copper in sight even when you cut the wire, chances are that it is aluminum. they do make actual silver cable, heck, they make carbon cables! (ok, i still don't understand that one)