Pair of Leak monos on ebay--chech THESE out!!!

Allan Songer

Now here is a pair of vintage amps I would LOVE to get my hands on!! The build quality of these is legendary and everything I've read and heard about them makes me drool. Never seen or heard a pair in person. Any of you guys have ANY experience with these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1377056853

I have also always wanted a LEAK amp. The wiring is indeed legendary, not to mention the history as their amps influenced so many others.

leak.jpg

It happens to be this amp's 50th anniversary give or take a few years (98).

Recently, a few of the Leak EL-34 and EL-84 amps have been appearing on AudiogoN. If you do see one of these amps in good condition, it is an excellent buy. The TL/12 is not going to be cheap, however. Their other amps are more reasonable considering the quality. Their have been improvements in circuit design but many amps are based on these offerings in one way or another. The workmanship is second to none.

kh

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-04-2002 at 10:05 AM

As you all know by now, I'm a huge fan of the GEC KT-66. I think it's the best sounding power tube for P/P-better than the 7189/EL84, EL34, 7591, etc. I don't want to campare it to TRIODE tubes, as this would be totally unfair. I've loved just about every amp I've heard that can use these and they are few to be sure. My beloved MC-30 MACs sing with the KT-66s in them. Beam tubes rule!

I'd like to sub in some WE 350B some time, but as I only have one of these, and since they sell for about $250 ea NOS these days, I guess I'll never know if they're as good or better.

Too bad the guy went Solen in the power supply as the filering for the PS is done by high quality OILs. As seen in the ebay ad, one unit has the original oil caps in PS while the other has been done over with Solens. Solens are not bad per say, but the oils for the filtering are very compelling.

One difference in this LEAK KT-66 is that is it actually triode connected to the KT-66. This is not the case with the McIntosh MC-30 am I correct? Or course, McIntosh have their own transformers and circuit moving the unit to almost Class B but they felt the reduction in measurable distortion and the lowering of impedance to be worth it.

Based on your love for that tube, I am surprised you havent broken down and tossed the ducats towards one of these TL12 for a different perspective.

kh

Is the schematic for this amplifier published somewhere? I am curious about what makes it unique circuit-wise. How do they sound? What other amps evolved from it? I noticed one pair has the clear glass KT-66 the other the old "smoky" ones. Besides those expensive NOS GEC's is there anything else available today that is acceptable?

-C&S

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

Is there anything about this loom construction that makes the initial design any more difficult? I wonder why other manufacturer's didn't do the same thing? Or did some?

I sometimes see pictures of do it yourself projects with extremely neat wiring and lots of right angles.