KG3 VS KG4.2

Rusty2009

I am new here. I love the sound of the vintage klipsch speakers. I have a pair of KG3 that I bought that will flat out Jam. Last week I bought a mint pair of KG4.2. that sound good but nowhere near the sound of the KG3. The KG4.2 have been wrapped in blankets in a closet for the last 14 years. I have a yamaha TSR7790 95- 130 per channel I had the kg3 hooked up is a 5.2 system then add the kg4.2 as front and moved the kg3 to the front surrounds.Then calibrated the unit. The KG3 are overpowering the KG4.2. When I listen to the 4.2 in  2 channel they don'e come close to the volume of the KG3 in 2 channel at the same volume level on the unit. The 4's have very little use. Do you think they aren't broke in yet? Need new crossovers? The KG4.2 don't have near the bass as the  KG3.                                 Thanks for your response Rusty

I suspect the bigger KG series like a lot of power. I have a pair of 5.2s that, as a matter of fact, may also not be broken in yet. (The person who gave them to me said they were never used.) In my listening so far, going between a 60w amp and a 3.5w amp, it's the 10" driver and passive that suffer when dropping power, not the horn, which tells me that more power is needed overall to get the most out of them. The sound is much fuller on the 60w amp, while the 3.5w amp seems to barely push the 10" driver and the passive at all. They sound bright to me even on the higher-powered amp, but again, my pair may also not be broken in. I've been meaning to set them up with a 125w HT power amp I have to see how that will treat them, but I haven't actually done it yet.

• 6 years later...
On 8/8/2016 at 1:34 PM, Rusty2009 said:

I am new here. I love the sound of the vintage klipsch speakers. I have a pair of KG3 that I bought that will flat out Jam. Last week I bought a mint pair of KG4.2. that sound good but nowhere near the sound of the KG3. The KG4.2 have been wrapped in blankets in a closet for the last 14 years. I have a yamaha TSR7790 95- 130 per channel I had the kg3 hooked up is a 5.2 system then add the kg4.2 as front and moved the kg3 to the front surrounds.Then calibrated the unit. The KG3 are overpowering the KG4.2. When I listen to the 4.2 in  2 channel they don'e come close to the volume of the KG3 in 2 channel at the same volume level on the unit. The 4's have very little use. Do you think they aren't broke in yet? Need new crossovers? The KG4.2 don't have near the bass as the  KG3.                                 Thanks for your response Rusty

Agreed....the older models KG 2 , 3 & 4s better quality

52 minutes ago, Fomoco69 said:

Agreed....the older models KG 2 , 3 & 4s better quality

not really ,  the Entire KG  series were all very good quality , there is no better or worse ,  they all used the same tweeter motor , although different lenses ,  the klipsch KG-4.2 used a Tractrix horn which was  definitely a superior horn ,  the main issue here  would be faulty capacitors in the networks or capacitors  and drivers  that are not   fully broken in 

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

not really ,  the Entire KG  series were all very good quality , there is no better or worse ,  they all used the same tweeter motor , although different lenses ,  the klipsch KG-4.2 used a Tractrix horn which was  definitely a superior horn ,  the main issue here  would be faulty capacitors in the networks or capacitors  and drivers  that are not   fully broken in 

Ok....thanks good to know....can you tell me where my 1990 KG3s were made?