SF-2's and a subwoofer??

SteveDeBeave

Here is my system which I think sounds pretty good except for the rears which need upgrading. SF-2 Mains. A pair of SF-1's Center. Quintets Rear. A pair of KSW-10's.

I couldn't put the center on top of the TV, so I put the SF-1's on either side. My Yamaha receiver allows 2 center speakers. The second KSW-10 was a smokin deal, otherwise I would only have one.

Jim

Hey Steve, You probably would.

I started with the KSW-10 since it was all I could afford at the time, but it didn't have enough bass for my room. I looked at upgrading to a KSW-12 or -15, but couldn't justify the price, and I would have to get rid of the KSW-10. When I found the second KSW-10 it seemed like the best solution.

If I was starting from scratch I would go with the 12 or 15.

I am also looking for some cheap SF-1 or -2's to replace the quintets in the rear. Or upgrade the fronts to Heresy's or Cornwall's or LaScala's or Klipschhorns (oops got carried away) and rearrange the rest of the system.

Jim

So, the KSW 12 for the woofer. If it's not big enough I'll sell it and go for the 15".

I can't find any of the SF-2's to listen to, so I may just go for it blind. Would you say that the mid range is good on your SF-2's by them selves? That is compaired to the SF-1's?

Your about the only one I have talked to about SF-2's so I am trying to get some re-assurance before a place an order.

Steve

I tried to send this last week, but the BBS was now responding.

I agree, the midrange is better with the SF-2 's compared to the SF-1's, but I disagree about the low end. I think the SF-2's have better bass (marginally) since they have a second mid/bass driver.

Neither speaker has earth shaking bass, so the sub is needed.

With my system, the opening of Toy Story 2 (yes I have kids) where Buzz is flying, you can feel the sonic booms even at low volumes. I know this is just the subs, but the rest of the track sounds pretty good to.

------------------

Jim

SF-2 Mains

SF-1 Center (pair)

Quintet Rears

KSW-10 Subs (pair)