Khorns in this room?

timeout59

There are a pair for sale locally at a price I'm willing to pay ($3000) that look great in the pics.  Walnut, owner says they are birch ply and all original, sounding great.  Wondering if I should try them in my room which is 15' wide x 19' long but not a regular triangle.  Front wall where the Khorns would go is 12' wide.  At 3' 9" into the room it gets wider by 2' to the left.  On the right side it gets wider by 1' at 9' from the front wall.  I'll try to attach a photos to this posting. 

IMG_0140.JPG

43 minutes ago, timeout59 said:

There are a pair for sale locally at a price I'm willing to pay ($3000) that look great in the pics.  Walnut, owner says they are birch ply and all original, sounding great.  Wondering if I should try them in my room which is 15' wide x 19' long but not a regular triangle.  Front wall where the Khorns would go is 12' wide.  At 3' 9" into the room it gets wider by 2' to the left.  On the right side it gets wider by 1' at 9' from the front wall.  I'll try to attach a photos to this posting. 

IMG_0140.JPG

Birch ply are usually the lower rung of K-horns, lacking the finely finished and veneered front and top panels of the "C" and "B" styles.  Go look at www.hifilit.com and click on the PWK logo to become more familiar with this issue.  I don't have a good sense of prices, but I'd say less than half the $3,000 you mention.

I also don't get a sense of your room's geometry.  Triangular is not suitable for K-horns.  Rectangular as the basic room shape is probably mandatory for fit and good sound.  However, I'm not sure from the pic that your room has the good, complete flanking corners that are needed for best room-filling sound. 

I believe that it's clear that you'd need a pair of false corners (4' x 4') to place your Khorns into so that you can put them out on the floor but near the existing side walls in your alcove.  That way, you've got the option of moving them to a point away from the front wall so that you've got good tweeter/midrange coverage across the front of the room instead of that higher frequency energy being channeled by the alcove walls. 

Aiming Khorns more at your listening position will also improve their imaging performance greatly, i.e., I wouldn't "line them up" with no toe-in across the front like dipoles.  One of the issues with dipole panels is that you really can't toe them in without creating a hole on the backwave behind the panels to the front wall.  So you're stuck with zero degree toe-in and having to space them about 6'/2 metres from the front wall in order to get the right "ambience" of the reflected sound from the front wall.  You don't have this issue with Khorns.

Chris

Alright, great information, thanks.  Khorns no, CW II's yes.

Just to clarify, the room is not triangular.  It is a rectangle 19' long and 15' wide at the widest.  It is just narrower at one end.  The curtain is hung 20" out from the front wall behind it.  So in the original picture I posted, the first sidewall behind the left speaker is longer than it looks at 3' 10" long.  From there the room gets wider by 3' to the left, then the sidewall continues all the way to the back wall.  On the ride side (picture below) the room gets wider by 1' 4" to the right at 9' from the front wall. 

IMG_0009.JPG

Not all birch Khorns are decorator models.  Some in fact are B-style with risers and edge banding veneer.  Some even came with cane grill as can be seen below.  Birch can be beautiful!

It does look like Khorns would be difficult to fit in that room.  If Khorns won't work, have you considered Jubilees?  They are slightly larger than Khorns but don't have the corner requirement.  If not, Cornwalls would still be an excellent choice.

ae6v0g.jpg