Question regarding proper settings

MIlkman2016

Greetings.  Apologies in advance for my first post being a question.  I've spent most the day on the forum researching and have all but made myself dizzy trying to understand hz ranges and crossover frequencies which leads me to my question.  I have a completely all new setup replacing an outdated system.  I currently have the R26 floors, R25 center, R15 surrounds, and 1 R10 Sub hooked to an Onkyo TX-NR656 receiver.  Originally I ran the AccuEQ that came with it, but wasn't happy with the output.  I checked the settings and it had the crossovers all over the place and the speaker distances were way off so I went to manual mode.  According to receiver specs the available range is 40Hz-200Hz for all but the sub.  The sub has a range of 80Hz-120Hz.  All decibel levels are set at 0.  I'm really not a dumb person, but for the life of me I can't wrap my head around frequency ranges and crossovers, etc.  Most of the use will be for tv and movies as well as some occasional music, maybe 10% of the time.  Anyone willing to offer a newbie to AV some layman understanding as well as maybe some settings to try.  I do know that with the Onkyo on the setup screen says to set floors to "full range", but is that always best?  Anyhow, thanks in advance!

I would suggest crossing all speakers as small and at 80hz. This allows the subs to do its job and frees up power from the avr to deliver more clean power to your speakers. I would run the auto eq so you at least get good levels. You should not be having everything at zero. At least I wouldn't think. Most with Klipsch usually end up in a negative trim levels. 

Welcome to the forum

• Like 1

Scrappy has great advice. I would also add, make sure you have good sub placement, and have the bass issues taken care of.   As you give everything low to your sub, it can have the tendency to create phasing/ standing wave issues and make hot spots and dead spots in the bass range.  If you do get some weird standing waves, giving a little of the bass back to your mains could reduce standing waves, at the expense of cleaner highs can help.   just be on the watch for that.

8 hours ago, MIlkman2016 said:

I checked the settings and it had the crossovers all over the place and the speaker distances were way off

How do you know the speaker distances are way off?

I have the predecessor to your unit, the Onk 717.  Your model dropped the Audyssey brand but AccuEQ is the functional equivalent. 

Even though the OSD is setup and measures distance, it is actually adjusting for time using a thousand different measurements which account for the room acoustics.  For instance my sub is physically 13 feet away but Audyssey sets the distance at 25 feet which is optimal for my room so the sound arrives at my ears from different speakers all at the sound time.

+++

Setting the speakers to full range:  Most of the power used by a speaker is in the LF range.  If a woofer can hand off lower frequencies to a sub it doesn't have to work as hard, allowing the woofer to be more efficient and accurate in the mid-bass region.

If you find you have room nulls running the speakers full range can smooth that out.  You can do the same thing by running the "double bass" feature of the Onk.  It's personal preference, some people like full range, some don't.  I don't use it as I don't have nulls that I notice and I like the cleaner sound without the double-bass feature enabled.

I suggest you try it both ways and see what sounds best to you in your listening environment using your AVR and your speakers.

+++

Edit:  I just read Scrappy's advice further upstream ^^^.  His advice is spot on.  Very succinctly stated, Scrappy!  B)

One minor thing to note is he said to set speakers to "Small."  The Onk language uses "Full" and after that uses a specific crossover (XO) setting, such as 40-60-80-etc.  Allow the AccuEQ to pick the XO range, the same advice Scrappy gave in suggesting you set your speaker to "Small."

20 hours ago, Scrappydue said:

I would suggest crossing all speakers as small and at 80hz. This allows the subs to do its job and frees up power from the avr to deliver more clean power to your speakers. I would run the auto eq so you at least get good levels. You should not be having everything at zero. At least I wouldn't think. Most with Klipsch usually end up in a negative trim levels. 

Thanks for the advice. I am going to try that when I get home tonight. 

I came from the 2-channel world and a few years ago I decided I wanted to get into the 21st century so I bought the Onk 717 AVR.  I don't mind telling you, the amount of options and settings completely overwhelmed me.  I was so lost!  :lol:  That's when I went to the on-line forums to try to educate myself. 

I tried the various settings and I'm telling you without exaggeration it was months before I had a clue.  Part of the problem was that I tried to apply my pretty-good knowledge of 2.0 listening to 5.1 sound.  It just didn't work.  I had to unlearn everything I knew to learn the new 5.1 system, and to learn how Audyssey and the Onk AVR options fit into things.

Fast forward a couple of years.  I am knowledgeable but not an expert by any means.  I think you are on the right track Milk Man because you are asking good questions.  Stick with it and you can tune your system from good to great.  There are some helpful people here who are have been there, done that.  These are the people I trust.  :emotion-21: