Interesting use for Klipsch speakers!

Stainz

I've been a shortwave radio listener for over sixty-four years - and a medium wave broadcast listener for even longer. As both broadcast services use amplitude modulation, ultimate fidelity wasn't as important as the crowded bands dictated tighter bandwidths on SW and only clear channel MW stations could enjoy hetrodyne-free reception. Then there was the typical non linear detector most AM radios used, which provided it's own distortion. Solid state integrated circuits provided a more complex, but lower distortion detector - the Synchronous AM Detector. Then - some notable communications receiver makers actually put lower distortion audio power amplifiers to use - often with a Watt or so of clean audio. Of course, a built-in speaker would remain an afterthought. I have several examples of the long closed British firm, Lowe Electronics, Ltd's, radio - specifically, two HF-225's with S-AM detectors and one HF-150, too. They sounded okay with the Radio Shack Minimus 7 diecast speakers, although the audio was boomy and not very loud (SPL = 84 dB). I would try various other bookshelf speakers, finally settling on Klipsch KB-15 and later, the smaller  B-10's. I also bought a pair of R-14M's for the same $99 as the B-10's - they are the best combination of size, sensitivity (SPL = 90 dB), and fidelity. The loaded horns make speech easier to understand while the 4" LF driver provides enough bass - music is pretty good, too Of course, I had to try the big bookshelf speakers - my RB-81ii - wow. Then there was my recent Heresy acquisition - absurd but double WOW! I just thought I'd share a different application!

• Like 3

I was an avid bcb dxer from around 1960 (very active in the NRC during the 60s) until the early 90s.  During those years I experienced so many communications receivers with Klipsch speakers (K-horns, CWs, and Heresys) that I've lost track.  Favorites were my HQ-180 and SX-117 feeding K-horns.  Listening to the phantom center image made pulling IDs out on the graveyard frequencies a pleasure!  Glad to come across someone else who has been in the hobby.  Enjoy---

Maynard

Here is the opposite Heresy from the one with the grill off in my other thread. My Lowe HF-225 ('92 vintage) 10kHz BW S-AM detector is feeding the Heresy, with it's normal load, a K. R-14M to the right of the radio, which was tuned to Radio Australia (9,580 kHz) which was fading then (1535 UTC) - all but gone now (1600+ UTC).

Wow, Maynard, DXing with K-horns... you win! I've been on/off over the years with the NRC - currently on, although it's $45/20 issues/yr now - the excellent 'AM Radio Log' is up to the 37th edition now & $27/$31 Priority Mail member/non-member - and worth it!

DSC_5399.jpg

I have been a casual SWL for years. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be much to hear anymore, since many countries are abandoning the infrastructure needed for SW transmitters in favor of streaming. When I was kid in the late 1960s, the Iron Curtain propaganda was amusing. I also have a real problem with QRP at my location. I built a 30 inch diameter magnetic antenna that helps to a degree, but it has to be next to the radio to allow for tuning "the sweet spot". I'd love to build a much larger version remotely tuned by a stepper motor, but that's someday project. My SW radios at this point are two Trans-Oceanics, a 1000 from 1959 and a 7000 from 1972. Of course, neither can compare with a real communications receiver, another someday thought.