SW-10 Starting to Die?

ACV92

Glad you got it fixed but honestly, that sub is getting a little long in the tooth. I really like the RSW / RT line of Klipsch subs, they're older models as well but probably but close to 10 years newer than what you have and there is service available for the amplifiers should the need arise. A cheaper way to fix the sub you have would be to replace the amp with a BASH 300 if you're a DIY'er at all.

Here's an RSW-10 on eBay, I think his price is too high though. A good deal for one of these is around $300 but this is probably the best sub I've ever heard for music:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Subwoofer-Rsw10-Black-120V-/302185260564?hash=item465ba52614:g:gLAAAOSwopRYaskm

Jason str -  Looking back I think it may have been a design flaw with this line of subs.  Klipsch made extra effort to reference using a two prong adapter with any hum.  Zeron said that he'd done the same thing with his SW-12 for the same reason.  I've checked my outlets with a plug in tester, don't know how accurate they are, and they have always shown OK.  I have no other issues with my other subs and equipment.  A section of the amp may be starting to go bad.  I tested the sub again tonight and there is still a very slight hum only audible when your head is right next to it. 

jjptkd - I'm starting to wish I was on your side of the state.  I'm in Spokane.  The snow I've shoveled this season is about 7' high on the side of my driveway as of Saturday morning.  Anyway, your not kidding about the age, I looked at the receipt today and I bought that sub new in August of '95 for about $430 with tax.  Almost 22 years ago, my lord time flies.  As I said before, it's always played a little on the muddy side.  I'm going to have to go shopping soon.  I think I've gotten my money's worth.

Thanks for the sub suggestions to both. 

• 3 years later...

ACV92, I found this thread via Google. I have the exact same situation that you describe at the top of this thread. My old SW10 has started to pick up an FM station, despite no changes being made to my system. The FM station plays only when the RCA is plugged into the sub, regardless of whether or not the other end of that RCA is plugged into my receiver. You said that you solved the problem by running a 12ga wire from a screw on the sub amp board to the ground terminal on your receiver. Did you successfully run that fix for a while? Also, how were you able to run the wire from the sub amp board to the outside of the sub, given that the sub is sealed? Did you drill a hole in the amp plate for the wire to pass through? I really appreciate your help with this.