$1,500: 2.0/3.1 or 5.1 HT start?

Pretior

Would like a good start to HT, $1,500 is speakers only. Initial use will be 40% music, 50% TV, 10% dvd. 12'x 18' room with 9' ceiling. The "room" is open to the whole house, there's really only two walls and no corners, but the acoustics seem good. *The front sound stage is only 6' wide, because of pedestrian and tv placement issues, mains need to abut the tv.* Sit 12' from TV, no possibility of speakers on the side, but 12' of room in the back. This room is clearly audible from everywhere in a large open house. Like subwoofers very much. TV sound is horrible. No audio gear worth salvaging. Is the 3.1 idea good for starters? I could start with 2.0 or 3.0, don't like throwing junk away to replace with slightly better junk. I need conversation level TV sound optomized for the "Law & Order" show, plus house-shaking Led Zep cd sound (I like harsh(brilliant?)sounds). *Maybe buy 2.1 promedia for tv and seperate $1,000 speakers for music?* Tower mains, center should fit in cabinet under 36" tv. Could you please post the initial format (2.0, 3.1, 5.1) and speaker model numbers? Can wire thru bsmt and the limited walls. Willing to accept suggestions like "continue to sit at computer with headphones", or "put a bunch of cubes up on the walls".

Thanks, Dazed & Confused

This message has been edited by Pretior on 09-17-2002 at 01:02 PM

dazed and confused is one of the greatest songs ever...

ok back to buiseness.

1500 dollars, in my opinion, would make a good 5.1 setup unless your going for really high end...

in which case, i'd get some refrence series, mabey RF-3, and an SVS sub, although i'm not sure how musical they are, but zepplin isnt exactly classical.

if i were you, i'd use the money and look into a heritige system, which is klipsch's older products.

you could grab some cornwalls for that much, or OOOO

you COULD try and go for a 2.0 system with KLF-30s!

annnnnnd depending on what kina deal you get, you might still have enough left over for a good sub!

ok final suggestion:

KLF-30s

no center

sub optional

oh shiz, i dunno if they are shielded, oh whatever someone else do this

------------------

---------------------

I. Love. MUSIC!

StrangeDazed, please help!

Think I need to create a 5.1 triangle, but the rears will be parked on my head, with the mains 12' away. This might work: left rear 6' away at 2' back, right rear 6' away at 2' back, sub 3' in front, right&left mains 12' in front (abuting the tv). There is no back wall, yet I can't intrude my gear into the adjacent room. I effectively have a huge space of 1, 1.5 and 2.0 stories, but am not looking to fill it, and don't care about the overflow.

With the mains flanking the tv, don't need the center?

Monitor interferance issues with mains? Maybe get 2 mains without woofers and a massive sub(2.1)? Maybe start with $1,250 of 2.1? 3.1 sounds really stupid now, next we'll be talkin 3.0, saves money.

*OK, I'll fess up. I'm Aerosmith, and want to make big obnoxious noise. To keep the peace, got to cloak this dagger in a nice-sounding "Law & Order" tv experience.* Was thinking a 3.1 field of sound around the tv would do the trick, until a reasonable time passes, and then I buy 2 more mains! This incremental approach did not work for a friend, his wife sent the Klipsch center packing! She was absolutely right though, cause his center overpowered his mains...

I need totally non-directional stuff?

Klipsh might be the wrong place?

This message has been edited by Pretior on 09-17-2002 at 01:28 PM