EV Georgian

taylor

John,

I can back you up on that one. When I worked there, the engineering staff spent lots of time and effort in making new and different horns for the midrange for the K-horn to test out in it...fiberglass, etc. They even brought in a "part-time" fiberglass pro to handle the load of making up the masters and laying up the different lenses for them. Always something going on in te midrange horn arena for the K-horn while I was there. PWK was never really TOTALLY satisfied with the midrange performance of what was being produced.

Edwardre,

One thing you gotta realize about PWK is that he really didn't give much of a hoot how many speakers were sold. Matter of fact, he is pretty famous for telling people that what they needed was something he wasn't making, and he would suggest another manufacturer's speakers on a regular basis...when they would call up and ask about his speakers for their particular applications. So....he wasn't exactly your normal "businessman attitude" type of guy. Matter of fact, he was often heard saying..."I am an engineer, NOT a businessman!!"...and he pretty much lived up to that, too!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 09-24-2002 at 08:36 PM

HDBR-

Funny you should mention that. The first time I meet PWK was at a HiFi show in Boston in the early seventies. In those days the manufacturers would rent out three of four hotel floors (those were the days!).

He had a pair of Klipschorns in one of the rooms with a Belle in the center. He was talking with a small group so I "migrated" over. They were discussing corner placement problems and the construction of false corners. He then looked up and said

"of course you can save yourself alot of extra trouble and just go out and get a pair of Altec A7s and put them where you want".

No John, it is YOU who 'don't get it'. Regardless of 'the myths, the legend, the man' and his quest for the ultimate in sonic perfection, I have been operating on a much more fundamental level.....that being to provide input as to what sounds better TO ME, IN MY LISTENING ENVIRONMENT. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't give a rat's rumpus what 'should' sound this way or that way, how this driver 'is suppose to' sound better than that driver because the final analysis is purely subjective and "should-be's" only serve to pollute the 'ear test'. I might also add that every person who has sat in my listening room and likewise previewed the different drivers also came to the same conclusion, that there is NO comparison between 'pre-60's' and 'post-60's' Khorn sound. IM(and all of our collective)HO's, the 'pre's' simply SOUND BETTER.

WRT PWK, I have never had the pleasure of a face to face or even a 'ear to ear' via phone. However, my father has and he just gushes on about the man. Everything you, HDBR and a host of others fortunate enough to speak personally with him all relay with equal enthusiasm regarding just how special THE MAN, PWK was. You all should consider yourselves very fortunate indeed.

------------------

Ed