Indie Rock, esp. 1976-1991

kjohnsonhp

I've been typing away about my love of indie rock and days as a fan and DJ on Public Radio and College Radio. Mobile Wireless stimulated a lot of dialog on the "Favorite Sounding CD" thread so I thought I'd create a new thread in a more appropriate category to continue these posts. It should also be less distracting to those wanting to discuss other topics.

If you are interested in this kinda music--identify yourself here. I'm not sure how many really care. DIY recording and audiophiles are often have different tastes.

Mobile and I were talking about Mission of Burma and especially Volcano Suns. I've been listing several albums and 45's I've been looking for. I can email my inventory spreadsheet with album ratings from various books if anyone is interested.

I'll write some of my thoughts tonight.

-KJ

"I was wracking my brain tryiing to think of another word for horse...my brains said.. how about COW that's close!"

--Laurie Anderson

Well, I'm a big fan of indie rock, but it is mostly newer stuff. I'm into bands like Shiner from KC, Ring Cicada from STL, and some Sunny Day Real Estate. This is all newer stuff, but you may enjoy it. I've never heard Mission of Burma or Volcano Suns, but I'll check it out. Another band you may like is Failure. The album Fantastic Planet has some really cool rock tunes, as well as some spacey tunes that really sound awesome. Some of the best rock production I've ever heard. Although they're now defunct, Ken Andrews, the brains, engineer and producer has a new band out called Year of the Rabbit. You can download one of their tunes from the forthcoming release at the web site www.yearoftherabbit.net. Really thick, full, sound, especially on the Klipsch's. Wink.gif

------------------

"May your mind be like water and mold to many things." -Bruce Lee

I used to run a store in Tampa called The Alternative Record Store. Opened in the mid 80's and just recently folded a few years ago. I was exposed to EVERYTHING there. Didn't one of the guys in Shellac origanally play in The Volcano Suns? I love older indie like Big Black, Naked Raygun & Slint. Right now I can't get enough of the Nuggets II box set which is mid to late 60's "indie". Newer stuff...I could go on & on but most currently: Japancakes, Sleater Kinney, Moldy Peaches, Dub Narcotic Sound System, Mary Timony, Quasi, Make-Up, Chicks on Speed, Holly Golightly, Thee Headcoatees, The Faint, Beachwood Sparks, Superchunk, Assuck, Death Cab For Cutie, Rainer Maria, almost anything on Kill Rock Stars, The Swans, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Mogwai, Tortoise, Electrelane, etc. I used to have a few Volcano Suns things on vinyl but I'm pretty sure I sold them off. Wanna buy a mint Racer X 12"(original pressing of course).

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

Bob Weston does now play in Shellac with Steve Albini, formally of Big Black fame. Actually, ole Steve, as well as Bob, gets more notice for the production and engineering in the recording studio. Steve Albini has really been instrumental in a lot of recordings from PJ Harvey to Nirvana (interesting enough, Bob Weston actually did Nirvana's "Heart Shaped Box"). When Bob left the Volcano Suns, he moved to Chicago, Albini's stomping grounds and they ended up getting together. Bob has done great work with Sebadoh and Polvo, a band from my hometown, Chapel Hill, NC.

Someone mentioned Mary Timony, another favorite of mine, as her work in Helium is excellent. The link? Polvo's guitar player, Ash Bowie, became romantically tangled with Mary and REALLY changed the Helium sound, giving it more edge. He actually played bass but did some definite shaping. Mary Timony has since left Helium (or should I say changed names)and started her own thing. I dont think it has the quality of material like "Dirt of Luck" but her last album released in May is worth a listen.

Another favorite band that has since broken up is NYC's Guv'ner, featuring some of the best guitar lines of anything out today. It's very inventive. Pumpkin and ole Charles Ganza are a great team (now married). Spectral Worship is an excellent release as is their harder to find first album, "Hard For Measy For You" on Ecstatic Peace. They moved to Merge.

Most know Guided by Voices but I have to say that Robert Pollard's solo offerings have been DAMN GREAT with "Volunteer Fire Dept" leading the pack as one of the best things from that year.

Man, there is so much stuff out there.... with most remaining oblivious. And even when given some exposure, head scratching is what usually follows. I have to admit, the Klipsch can not be too kind to some of this noise, as beautiful as it is.

kh

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-18-2002 at 09:50 PM

I spent the night writing my Klipsch Story Teller entry. So I'm typed out for tonight.

Since I retired from the music scene in 1990 and have been a family man stuck in the past musically I will need to get caught up on the newer stuff... thanks for the posts. I'll need to create a sampler disc with the highlights. Maybe a trip to Morpheus is needed.

KJ

"When I get a six-pack in me, I feel good"

BLACK FLAG "Six Pack"

Love the picture!!!! great colored vinyl...

Here's a quick item I thought of from North Carolina...Let's Active set list with comments from Mitch and the girls. Also some pics...these were the joys of not being in the mainstream...access.

Darn my pics of Sarah, Faye and Mitch aren't coming tonight...my scanner sw crashed and I'm too tired to reboot.

If you can't read Mitch's note it says: "tonight on stage it sounded like a machine shop and I suspect out front it sounded like military excercisesbut thanks fand all. Careful with that combine."

Sarah's note says" The drum lessons were helpful, thanks. Really I couldn't have done it without you. Sarah dreams of "Let's Active".

My roommate's band Critical Few opened and I think I met a future short time girlfriend at URI that day...you know how those out of state romances go! ...of course Providence and Worcester are less that an hour a part if I remember correctly...

Classic SET list and notes!

I got to see ole Mitch and company so many times, I feel like they were my brother and sisters! Let's Active was one of the best pop bands ever to me and Mitch Easter just doenst get enough credit. You have picked another favorite of mine!

Sara Romweber (Dexter Romweber's of Flat Duo Jets sister) actually learned how to play the drums while in the band! She was from Chapel Hill (where I grew up). Rob Ladd, who played drumd on Big Plans, was a buddy of mine at Chapel Hill High School.

Big Plans for Everybody is a great album but does not have the innocence of Afoot and Cypress. Still, I rank it as one of my favorite pop albums of that time. You can still listen to it today... Mitch had a GREAT studio and was also really instrumental in REM's first EP as well as the big breakthrough Murmur.

He plays every now and then in other projects and I saw him in the late 90s play with Angie Carlson's Grover (he played bass though).

Ironically enough, I mentioned Mary Timony above. Mitch helped with the last Helium album, Magic Sky, and you can tell in he mix. He really is great in the studio.

Thanks for the neat scan!

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-19-2002 at 11:14 AM

The attached pics of Mitch and Sarah should bring back memories of old friends. I wish I would have taken more photos of the bands and collected more set lists and flyers.

Love to trade discs with friends...I'm making a disc of my favorite Boston bands from the early 80's leaning towards things that may be less familiar: Rash of Stabbings, Critical Few, Lou Miami, Outlets, Dogmatics, O+, November Group, New Models, Black Jacks, unreleased Neighborhoods tunes from cassette, etc. All are songs I really enjoyed and listend to often. The styles are power pop, synth, hardcore, garage, etc. so a good variety.

"Dexter Romweber's of Flat Duo Jets sister"

--Now I remember! I saw Flat Duo Jets at SxSW in Austin 5-10 years ago. I had totally forgetten. If I recall they did a cover of Neil Young's "rockin in the Free World" or maybe that was another band. I wonder who else we saw that night?

SxSW was awesome because we would go from club to club seeing about 4 shows in one night. I think that trip was my last gasp at night clubbing "new music". From there on it was the occasional Pointer Sisters show and the like at work events such as ARIBA Live in Miami. Of course Ariba takes us to another point in my life...the dot com craze...geez what a ride. Rent the DVD "DOT COM". Reality TV at it's best!

BOSTON ROCK - Here's some nostagia from my college days. Email if you have any more stuff like this for sale. I'm missing the vinyl from the BALL & PIVOT EP (yikes a cover an no record--and not a very popular one so it's tought to find)

I'm making a highlight CD of some of the stuff that's hard to find on CD. If interested let me know.

boston.jpg

KJ

"Tell me real stories"

-Neighborhoods

• 3 weeks later...