Klipsch Cinema for a big room

Fast996

I always wanted a big Klipsch system. I have renovated my downstairs and have about 1400 sq ft,all open. The only problem is the ceiling height varies depending on the location from 7ft, to 9ft....so about 84 inches is my limit.

I was looking at a  KPT-JUBILEE/535-B setup or a  KPT-MCM-II-B minus the 305 horn. The Jubilee would be a 3 way bi amped and the KPT 15 inch would be a 3 way also.

Has anybody have the larger set up minus the 305 horn and if so how does it work.

The related equipment would be a pair of VAC Renaissance 140's and a 70/70 amplifiers + a modified Accuphase C200 preamp 

Any on hand experience would be greatly appreciated

KPT-Jubilee-535-Angled.jpg

KPT-MCM-Front.jpg

First, the Jubilee system will more than likely be more than enough 'overkill' for you.

That said, if you are intrigued on the larger system, I happen to have two of those double bass bins (without drivers) that you could have for free.  That is an excellent start on something that is effortless in its performance.  You can take it to a 2-way with the K402 on top and ultimately, have a killer system at a modest cost.

Looks:  ugly (cabinets are banged up a bit BUT, intact

Sound: pretty darn incredible

Cost:  Need 4 drivers.  K43 is "stock", I think they're about $250 each.  I was going to populate them with K33's which are around half the cost AND they dig slightly lower.

If you go 2-way with the K402 on top, you can go active so that's another cost but, all the engineering has been done.

Recap:

Bins: free

Drivers: $500

Active: $1,300

K402 (pair): $3,000

For under $5K you are but a couple of power amps away from awesome!

Or, you can buy the Jubilee as a 3-way OR, a 2-way (which was PWK's goal)

I don't know the current pricing....but I think it's around $8,000 delivered.

You would still need to supply an active crossover or, pay to have a passive built (diagrams are already available)

Now that I typed all this....  I know you'll be intrigued on the bass bins, only to find out you live in France or somewhere on the other side of the earth.

Coytee...thanks for the reply....I'm near Lake Tahoe,Nevada. I have another system downstairs in a 300 sq ft alcove with 2 subs....2 custom dual 16 1100 pounds and a Velodyne FSR-18...the bass is exceptional,but I want to be sure that I don't get penis envy with this new system.:D

Edited by Fast996

A lake system...  what could be better!

(true story)

I once wanted to set things up down by our dock.  I thought it would be cool to set a pair of MWM's up on either side....  put a movie screen in the middle and like years ago when you'd go to a drive in movie, have a 'boat in movie' on the lake.

Main issue is having no power down there and not wanting the noise of a generator.

I still think it's a neat idea...  who knows...maybe in the future.

That said, it was a legit offer if you want to figure out the logistics...  two free MWM bass bins without drivers.  

1 minute ago, Fast996 said:

Coytee that photo with the big bins and the single horn 2 way....do you know if anybody has done a short 3 way with the mid-hf horn?

No, I don't know.

Truth be told, the 2-way system will be enough to physically push you out of the room.  I personally don't feel the need for the mid-driver, especially for residential use.

My understanding is, they divide the signal up like that to get better (larger) output.....  you really won't need it in the house (again, my opinion)

The MWM will (in my opinion) crush the sound of the Jubilee (of which I've owned for 10 years so I'm not bashing on the Jubilee's)  and the Jubilee will be capable of pushing you out of the room in a 2-way format.

You can always add the midbass unit if you feel it's needed.

1 minute ago, Coytee said:

A lake system...  what could be better!

(true story)

I once wanted to set things up down by our dock.  I thought it would be cool to set a pair of MWM's up on either side....  put a movie screen in the middle and like years ago when you'd go to a drive in movie, have a 'boat in movie' on the lake.

Main issue is having no power down there and not wanting the noise of a generator.

I still think it's a neat idea...  who knows...maybe in the future.

That said, it was a legit offer if you want to figure out the logistics...  two free MWM bass bins without drivers.  

Coytee this certainly won't be done over night but my goal is to have it completed @ EOY . I have been it audio for 50 years, but these horns will be a challenge to get done where they are coherent.

Now that I think about it....  I think when you buy the mid/hf horn as a single unit, they are paired with a passive crossover.  They are voiced a little hotter as they are voiced to go behind a movie screen.  You would either need to go fully active (at which you are making your own crossover points) or, use the active to tame the HF signal a bit or, wrap a screen over the horns to attenuate it down a bit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fast996 said:

but these horns will be a challenge to get done where they are coherent.

If you mean to get done while maintaining intelligibility (or maximizing it) then you likely realize the fewer crossover points means the easier it will be to maximize it.

When I went from my 3-way Khorns to the 2-way Jubilee's, I mistakenly thought the increase in intelligibility was because of the aligned signal.  I was shown how to change that to (dis)prove my logic...and I did.

What I realized/learned was that it was the loss of the crossover point that created the increase in intelligibility.

Keep it simple.

2-way Jubilee...  have extra cash?  Find a pair of TAD 4002 drivers

Want more oomph?  we can figure out how to get the MWM bass bins to you....slap a K402 on top and be done.

3 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Now that I think about it....  I think when you buy the mid/hf horn as a single unit, they are paired with a passive crossover.  They are voiced a little hotter as they are voiced to go behind a movie screen.  You would either need to go fully active (at which you are making your own crossover points) or, use the active to tame the HF signal a bit or, wrap a screen over the horns to attenuate it down a bit.

I would go passive and have somone is proficient do the crossover.

1 minute ago, Fast996 said:

Any vast consensus on a 2 way vs 3 way in these big horns?

My experience above (we crossed posts which I guess you realize), it is black & white.  Fewer crossover points will increase the coherency and more crossover points will increase the power handling (something you won't need in a home)

My Jubilee's have a sticker on them stating 1,200 watts max

That's just nuts!  I think they are rated for a space of about 350 people (in the 3-way format)

I biamp mine with a Crown K2 on each.  Some use flea powered amps...

You have a lot of choices with these sensitive horns

2 minutes ago, Coytee said:

If you mean to get done while maintaining intelligibility (or maximizing it) then you likely realize the fewer crossover points means the easier it will be to maximize it.

When I went from my 3-way Khorns to the 2-way Jubilee's, I mistakenly thought the increase in intelligibility was because of the aligned signal.  I was shown how to change that to (dis)prove my logic...and I did.

What I realized/learned was that it was the loss of the crossover point that created the increase in intelligibility.

Keep it simple.

2-way Jubilee...  have extra cash?  Find a pair of TAD 4002 drivers

Want more oomph?  we can figure out how to get the MWM bass bins to you....slap a K402 on top and be done.

I just want a seamless dispersion field thrown a the listener. I can increase clarity,dynamics,ect easily

3 minutes ago, Fast996 said:

I would go passive and have somone is proficient do the crossover.

I don't think they've (Klipsch) even designed a full passive for the MWM....  so you'd be having something 'cottage' made.  (Bob Crites comes to mind as best bet since he's got a pair of MWM's and Jubilee's)

Roy (at Klipsch) has designed a passive for the stock Jubilee 2-way and the Jubilee with a TAD 4002 driver.  He has also created the profiles needed to go active with a 2-way Juiblee.

You do lose the ability to align the signal with a passive.  There are other drawbacks but they're a bit over my head.

2 minutes ago, Coytee said:

My experience above (we crossed posts which I guess you realize), it is black & white.  Fewer crossover points will increase the coherency and more crossover points will increase the power handling (something you won't need in a home)

My Jubilee's have a sticker on them stating 1,200 watts max

That's just nuts!  I think they are rated for a space of about 350 people (in the 3-way format)

I biamp mine with a Crown K2 on each.  Some use flea powered amps...

You have a lot of choices with these sensitive horns

Those Bass bins and 402 that will be a 3 way....I think would be better for me.

yes I know.  You have to find them used...AND, have to find them with the original BE diaphragm.

The stock driver however is good....  just not as good.

The TAD's are not necessary...  just that little extra 'oomph' on clarity