Please help before I waste a lot of money and DTS NEO:6

m00n

Please help before I waste a lot of money

Has anyone here heard NEO:6? How does it sound? Does it take away from the other speakers? Does it have any kind of a negative affect on the sound quality?

Is it recommended or not? I mean if I already have a 5 channel input will it even be of any advantage to use NEO:6?

Other than using NEO:6 (forget about DTS-ES) how do you get a set of rears to produce a rear sound? What would you hook upto in the back of the receiver? The additional side surround pre-amp out, or the rear pre-amp out?

And what about dolby digital. How would you hook that all up? And to what? What would produce the sound?

I would rather not have a improvised setup like NEO:6

UGH! So many options and what nots....

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

m00ns current toys

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Harman Kardon DVD-50(DD, DTS)

VIDEO: InFocus ScreenPlay DLP Projector

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOX with Monster cable for that 5.1 Dolby Digitial surroundc>

f>

mOOn-

I have DTS Neo on my 3801. My understanding is that its very simular to DPL, in that it does some magic on analog sources to make them multichannel. I have played around between DPL & Neo and I can't tell any difference in the mixing for the front soundstage. In fact, i have read on one of the forums that they use almost identical processing for the front speakers. The only real difference is how the rear speakers are treated, to me they have a bit more sound coming out of them when running in Neo. So i have recently switched to running Neo when I watch TV. Personally, I would not buy a reciever just for Neo, I think DPLII is probably MUCH better. But that is simple speculation since I don't have a reciever that has it. The more important formats are DD/DTS with EX/ES and some sort of Analog upmixing, be it DPL/DPLII/DTS Neo/etc...IMHO

-Dave

------------------

Home Theater

I have NEO:6 on my 3801 also. I like it better than DPL but not as well as 7 channel stereo. It has cinema and music settings, the cinema sounds bad in my opinion. I use it infrequently on some music sources such as concerts on TV, but not very often. I wouldn't spend extra to get it.

I do like the 7 channel stereo a lot. That's what I use most watching TV and satellite.

& like i told you in your tech section thread, when you

hook up an amp & the speak(s) to your hk rear surround preouts & designate the rear surround in your hk 520, then you get rear surround output on any mode & source, from 5-7 channel stereo, Logic 7 to of course 5.1-6/7.1 matrix or discrete.

only mode you won't get rear surround or surround output are on the 2-channel modes, or direct mode on material that doesn't have surround or rear surround channels encoded. or on the HT/prologic modes when there's no surround material flagged/encoded.

you should get the rear surround hooked up 1st then explore what the hk 520 has & does. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-20-2002 at 12:13 PM

What am I trying to do now... That is the million dollar question.

Don't remember who it was, but someone told me that my receiver would not send a signal out to the rears on Dolby Digital because it does not have EX....cwm6.gif

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

m00ns current toys

f>

" my receiver would not send a

signal out to the rears on Dolby Digital because it does not have EX.... "

i doubt that's true. it should still process a matrixed rear surround signal. EX is just a proprietary decoding. your hk will process rear surround w/ dts or DD 5.1 so it'll have no problem w/ ex. ex is just a supplement on top of 5.1.

get the rear surround going then see/hear what the hk does. think you'll be pleasantly suprised. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Ok.... I still want to upgrade to the big bad boy H/K 8000 though. mo powwa and it has Dolby Digital EX.

Which DD-EX seems to have a lot more support for on DVD than does DTS-ES.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

m00ns current toys