DEMO of Denon vs. B&K with RF-7

PYRO

Today I had the chance to demo the Denon 5803 vs. B&K AVR 307 with RF-7s. Without a doubt the B&K blew the Denon away!

B&K AVR 307 - Clairty and Soundstage. It has a warm overall sound.

Denon 5803 - Harsh at higher volumes, voice and highs seem to breakup. Not worth the high price tag.

Boa12 - Also played with the REF 30 running through the B&K 307. They didn't have a B & K amp available. The REF 30 was nice but there were some problems. Maybe with just the floor model I hope. Anyway for no reason it would let out a high pitch sound (Like the emergency broadcast tone) fairly loud. Otherwise it seems pretty nice. It made low level pops while switching sources and I didn't here any hiss.

So now it is time to decide:

Outlaw Audio 950 Preamp and Amp - $2499

Preamp has been known for loud hissing but has been recalled and tweaked. New preamp is reported better but still has a hissing problem. Don't know how it will sound until it gets delivered. Leaning towards this setup but I am concerned about the reported hiss. Additionally, if I get separates I want the preamp and amp the be from the same line. (What do you think?)

B&K AVR 307 - $2500 Missing some DSP and could use a little more on the top end. (AVR 507 - new receiver due out in OCT @ $4000)

B&K REF 30 (REF40 0r 50 due out in OCT)with B&K REF 7270 AMP - $6000 Hoping that seperates and the extra power would push B&K over the top.

RP

------------------

Computer

Klipsch Pro Media 4.1

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

This message has been edited by PYRO on 09-20-2002 at 09:47 PM

DSP is for woosys.I hate the way it makes the moves sound. just get the B&K receivers, they're really nice. I have one of their pre amps right now, but it's just a stereo, and not home theatre style.

------------------

New music system:

2.1 using SF-2's (soon to be RF-7's), and an RSW-15. for amplification Mcintosh MC02105, B&K PT-3 preamp, Sony SACD player. pioneer turntable.

Computer uses Promedia 2.1's.