Timbre Matching....

JasN00b

It depends. I use all Klipsch speakers.

I use Legends as mains (KLF-10's) and a Reference (RC-3)at center. To me the match is not that bad. Could be better, but not so bad that I can't enjoy movies and TV. I bought the center first and then came across a deal on the Legends that was too good to pass up.

I don't use it for music at all. The timbre match between my speakers really gets bad with 5 channel audio. But 95% of what I listen to is movies/TV.

My father is using bookshelf speakers (KG .5's) with a no name center channel and it sounds aweful. Have yet to make/find an adjustment that even makes it bearable. He just runs the system in 4.1

So I guess it is pretty important. I'm sure others here will have stronger feelings than myself on this.

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Denon DVD-900

TV: Sony 36XBR400

VCR: Mitsubishi HS-U48

LaserDisc: Pioneer D605

MIT T2 and T3cables throughout

Seems to depend on your ears and the material you listen to. For me, anything less than a nearly perfect match across the front channels is irritating. Rear channels were less of an issue at first when there was just Dolby Prologic. With the mono, limited range signal, just about any speakers seemed to work fairly well for the rear. But as soon as I switched to Dolby Digital with discrete full range rear signals, timbre match became an issue for the rear as well. I had Heresys all around. Unfortunately, the rears were late models with the K-53-K squawker driver while the rest had the K-55-V. The difference was just annoying enough that I replaced the rears with an older pair with K-55-Vs.

yes, especially for panning effects. say a sound like a car moves from the right to the left. don't want timbre-mismatch distracting from the natural sound,

especially w/ natural sounding klipsch. Smile.gif

as for the surrounds, because of the room & placement, there will probably always be some timbre mismatch there, even if you have the exact same speaks all around. but still i'd want a close or ideal timbre match there for those sounds that move front to back or vice versa. like fly-over effect.

even for 5-7 channel/speaker stereo/music. don't want different sounding speaks distracting so much. the room does enough of that on its own. Wink.gif

matching any reference with any legend or heritage speaks will be an automatic timbre-mismatch to most ears. but as always, its up to your own ears. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-21-2002 at 03:15 PM

I used to use a KLF-C7 for a center channel with my Klipschorns. I only used it for a few months,and had to change to a LaScala, it drove me nuts. I also had a few different speakers for the rear surrounds. They too had to be changed out. There is nothing as good as using all the same speakers. That is also why Horn Ed had to make a KLF-30 into a center channel speaker.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

it is important to timbre match the fronts together and the rears together. If you can timbre match every speaker, then that is optimal, but not realistic because big front speakers are tough to use as surrounds. I have all rf-3's in front and rs-3's in back. sounds phenominal.

------------------

MY SYSTEM

Mains: Klipsch RF-3II

Center: Klipsch RF-3II

Rear L/R: Polk R40 bookshelves(suck)...soon to be Klipsch RS-3II

Subwoofers: Dual SVS 25-31CS

Subwoofer Amp: Fidek 3002 600w

Receiver: Harmon Kardon AVR520

CD Player: Cambridge D500SE

DVD Player: JVC XV-D723 Progressive Scan

TV: Toshiba 32A42 32"

Yeah, I would have to agree. Not matching things up is alittle too distracting. Everytime We watch a movie, we're always turning Our heads as the efx kick in. Just not as smooth as it should be.

I also have to put My rears (JBL N26's) at +10 DB's, vice +1 DB for front 3 (Ref 3's) to Reach the reference of 75 DB's in my set-up. Which is why those Jbl's will be coming down soon!

Jwadd, How did you work that (3) Rf-3 configuration out? You have an extra in the closet somewhere? Guess your ready for a rear center if so!!!!

Off to check if there are deals to be had on a pair of RS-3II's.

Jalen

------------------

Pioneer 906s A\V Rec.

Pioneer Cld-d580 Laser Disc Player

Parasound P\Hp - 850 Preamp

Rotel RB 976 Amp 3x150 watts for front 3 speakers.

Cambridge Audio 500SE

Awia XD-DV370 (MP3) dvd

Klipsch RF-3II Fronts

Klipsch RC-3II Center

JBL N-26 Rears

Paradigm Mini's low\lvl jam sessions and bar-BQ's