Help Help!! Fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Orange Peel

Well I went out and bought a Denon DVD 2800, and thought it looked like a great DVD player. Anyways I get home tonight and hook it up to my TV, plug the component video cables in just like I did with my old Sony DVD player, and when I turn it on, my screen just shows wiggly lines all over the place. So I get out a set of crappy yellow, red and white video/audio cable that most things come with, and plug those in, and plug them into the tv, switch to that input, and holy crap it works like that. So I look in the setup menu of the Denon, and check the video settings. It has a option for Multi, NTSC, or PAL. So I'm retarded and don't know what the hell that means? So I check my Mitsubishi manual, and look at the component video section, and it says that the component video will work with DVD player or other equipment sending a standard NTSC signal (480i). So I go back to the video options of the Denon, and it has a video output option, "Progressive" or "Interlaced" if I choose interlaced, I can use the component video cables and the component video input on the TV, but change it to Progressive, and I get the wiggly lines!

WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF???????????????????

Does this mean my POS TV can't accept PROGRESSIVE SCAN DVD PLAYERS!?!?!?!?!?! It's a BRAND NEW 60" Mitsubishi Big Screen, bought it on Fathers day! You would think it would be able to work with these things.

If so, I'm F-ing up a creek without a paddle! I don't want to use interlaced if it sucks, and the whole point of getting a progressive scan DVD is to use PROGRESSIVE SCAN!

ANY HELP PLEASE! What can I do????? Should I run it through my HK AVR 520?

Damn I'm SO pissed right now you don't understand.

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Home Theatre:s>

Klipsch RF-3's (Front Mains)c>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Klipsch RS-3's (Rear Surrounds)c>

SVS 20-39 PC Plus Subwooferc>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

on your component hookup, did you match up the letters on the cables to what is labeled on your dvd? if yes then did you buy monster cable component cables? if so then reverse the cables because monster cable have a certain direction that they go. take what is plugged into the tv and plug them into the dvd-and what is in the dvd plug in unplug and plug into the tv. that dvd is a nice piece but i just mailed you a reply about the new pioneer elite dv45a and it is an elite

TopDawg - Yep I matched them up perfectly, correct colors and letters to the correct letters and colors on the DVD and TV. I do have Monster Cable ones, and I already tried to reverse them, I will try it again since I changed the settings and stuff, but I think it's my TV not the cables. It took my FOREVER to decide between this one and a Elite model, I can get the Pioneer Elite DV47A for about $60 or so more, so if I don't like this one I may try that model, but hell, if Progressive scan don't work why bother? I like the Denon because of the 4MB buffer, so you don't see that layer swap and what not, I didn't see one glitch or swap lastnight when I watched The Panic Room. The Elite just accepts all formats, the Denon accepts all the formats I will use. Do you think the Pioneer Elite DV47A is better than the Denon 2800?

Doug - I tried to call you lastnight too and talk with ya. It was about 9:30pm, so I think you may have been sleeping or something, sorry if I woke you. I called your cell phone, I was sooooo pissed lastnight I couldn't see straight! What I don't understand is that the DVD player will work in progressive scan mode if I use the rca style cable, but not with the component cables. I'm going to go buy a set of S-video cables and see if it works with them. The picture was still amazing even with the crappy *** rca styles. S-video is better then that, so it may be nice with that cable. I'm just dissapointed in all this stuff, I can't believe the TV is like that, what a POS! What cable are you using? Do you have a progressive scan DVD player? How's it hooked up?

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

quote:

Originally posted by Orange Peel:

TopDawg
- Yep I matched them up perfectly, correct colors and letters to the correct letters and colors on the DVD and TV. I do have Monster Cable ones, and I already tried to reverse them, I will try it again since I changed the settings and stuff, but I think it's my TV not the cables. It took my FOREVER to decide between this one and a Elite model, I can get the Pioneer Elite DV47A for about $60 or so more, so if I don't like this one I may try that model, but hell, if Progressive scan don't work why bother? I like the Denon because of the 4MB buffer, so you don't see that layer swap and what not, I didn't see one glitch or swap lastnight when I watched The Panic Room. The Elite just accepts all formats, the Denon accepts all the formats I will use. Do you think the Pioneer Elite DV47A is better than the Denon 2800?

Doug
- I tried to call you lastnight too and talk with ya. It was about 9:30pm, so I think you may have been sleeping or something, sorry if I woke you. I called your cell phone, I was sooooo pissed lastnight I couldn't see straight! What I don't understand is that the DVD player will work in progressive scan mode if I use the rca style cable, but not with the component cables. I'm going to go buy a set of S-video cables and see if it works with them. The picture was still amazing even with the crappy *** rca styles. S-video is better then that, so it may be nice with that cable. I'm just dissapointed in all this stuff, I can't believe the TV is like that, what a POS! What cable are you using? Do you have a progressive scan DVD player? How's it hooked up?

I have a mitsubishi 65" HDTV (WS-65869) and progressive scan works awesome. Although, the HDTV broadcasts on PBS blow away a progressive scan DVD. What model Mitsu did you buy? If it is a platinum or diamond, it should work fine. If it is a gold, it may not...

Rob

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall - 1981

Klipsch Heresy II

Yamaha RX-V1

Mitsubishi 65" HDTV (WS65869)

Your TV is not HD ready, so it cannot accept a progressive output. You'll have to watch it in 480i and set the DVD player to interlaced. You can't really call the tv a POS - you're the one that bought an analog TV. You should still use the component video cables, just get a cheap dvd player- like an entry level Panasonic or Sony. The picture will still be very good...

This message has been edited by dearlv on 09-22-2002 at 12:33 PM

Scott - Sleeping????? at 9:30???@!!!? Not bloody likely. You think you 20-somthings have a corner on the night life market (LOL)??? My pillow is lucky to see my head before midnight on ANY night of the week.

Actually , we were wathcing a movie and thus COULD NOT HEAR the phone ringing (ahh, bliss).

The only way that you can use progressive scan is over the component video connection. Using the standard RCA or S-Video will not result in progressive scan -- your player is "outputing" interlaced out those jacks even though you indicate progressive - it only applies to the component output, I believe.

I do not have a progressive TV or player, and mine is connected directly to the TV via component cables. It gives a better picture than S-video, IMHO.

DD

------------------

My System

I like the Denon so far, I have 30 days to return it if I'm not satisfied.

I have had my TV for 3 months!! Can you believe it, I already have to upgrade to use progressive scan, oh well, I love the 65" Widescreen Mits. Are you looking to buy a TV? Smile.gif

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Denon DVD 2800c>